Label Printing - Thermal or Laser?

mattf

I know this might be the wrong location to ask this question, but I couldn't really find a place for it anywhere else on the forum.

I got a question concerning labels, needed some input if anyone was able to answer. I have a potential account that will demand millions of labels a year. With this, we need a specific type of technology that will be able to handle this. The main two that came to mind was Thermal and Laser printers.

Thermal of course is the common ideal, but if we have volume in the millions I'm not sure if it would work. There is also laser, but it has a specific up front cost related to it.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give more expertise into this subject then I can at this time.

Label Printing

Label Printing

Mattf:
Is variable data printing one of your concerns as well? Either yes or no I think I can help.
This is my first time using this service so I do not want cross any ethical guidelines. I am not sure how to take it to the next level, i.e. gaining more info so that I may help you.
I hope this initial exchange gave you some hope.
Mike

Mattf:
Is variable data printing one of your concerns as well? Either yes or no I think I can help.
This is my first time using this service so I do not want cross any ethical guidelines. I am not sure how to take it to the next level, i.e. gaining more info so that I may help you.
I hope this initial exchange gave you some hope.
Mike

As far as I know there would only be about 30 different barcodes needed to be printed at any given time. That is kind of variable data, but its set in stone and isn't completely variable persay.

Edit: Got it wrong. There will be 30 different types of labels and around 30,000 different types of sku's. So yes, variable data would be involved.

Last edited:
label printing

label printing

Matt,
'Thanks for responding.
I would like to learn more about your printing process: type of press, web width, speed, type of substrate(s). I am confident I can help you but, again, being new to this forum and service I am not sure how to proceed. Should I provide you with my contact info or you provide me with yours?
Thanks,
Mike

Your invitation to the largest Label Printing network group

Your invitation to the largest Label Printing network group

You may be interested in joining our group on LinkedIn called
"Digital Printing Labels" We are the largest Label Printing networking group and have a diverse and global membership that is rapidly growing.

Once a member you can add to our Discussions topics that are sent to all members via LinkedIn.

Once you enter LinkedIn, go the Groups, then Search or Find a Group, then enter
"Digtal Printing Labels"

Just click the URL below (if it posts here) to join in just seconds.

LinkedIn | Groups: Sign in Digital Printing - Labels

Regards,
Lou Berceli
Founder and Manager of Digital Printing Labels

Last edited:
To end this forum:

As I have learned a bit on my own about label printers and the differences between thermo and laser, I've come up with some conclusions:

1) Thermo will always print better quality
2) Laser will not do the best in terms of color and picture quality (i.e. colored flags)
3) Even though Laser is cheaper, Thermo is more heavily available within the label world. The up front cost of material and machinery is also cheaper.

I think that digital laser printers have come on leaps and bounds in the past few years.

i fully recommend using a digital laser printer it works just fine our custom label printing based in the uk.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back