Lead testing requirements?

Mike:
Time to pay you back for all your valuable color management advice. There are a bunch of printers in California that print for Sony, and they have very stringent heavy metal requirements for Japanese printing. They require testing for Cadmium, Mercury, Lead, and I think Silver. While at the deceased printing organization called GATF, we did a lot of that in Bassemir Kronenberg ink and paper lab. It was sent out to have tests by atomic absorption spectroscopy or inductively couple plasma analysis. The costs were $30 or $50 per ink per element. The results were always in the parts per billion, or below detectable limits by any chemical method. That's the deal though, you have to have proof that it isn't there. Now, if you are using a yellow ink that is made with lead chromate, like in the 1940's, well, you got a problem, but none of the modern yellow organic pigments contain lead. Lead chromate is still used to color plastics, and thus the issues with toys from China. We also had to test staples used for saddle stitching, to prove that the above metals were not present, or below the allowed limits.

If you are really concerned about this, you can buy ink from a place called ColorCon, where all the inks are made for food contact. Might be pricey, but factor in the cost of testing.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Thanks for the info. As a printer, we're not personally effected by this as our products don't fit this genre. I am curious, however, as to how far reaching this is within the industry, and how realistic compliance and enforcement would be. Then again, I don't believe that there is such a thing as an "acceptable" level of lead where direct contact is involved in any children's products. Difficult situation.

As an ink supplier, I can tell you that lead content in domestic printing inks has been a non-issue for many, many years. The new CPSIA regulations have amplified the dialogue on this topic, and it is unclear if mandatory printed product testing for heavy metal content will be required once all the lawmaking discussion concludes.

There is NO need to buy expensive Colorcon ink (which is more intended for direct food contact). Any domestic ink supplier of signficance can provide you documentation that their products are in full compliance with current heavy metal (including lead) regulations. For our products, the lead content is always below the level of detection (which for us is 500 ppb or 0.5 ppm).

it is unclear if mandatory printed product testing for heavy metal content will be required once all the lawmaking discussion concludes.

So am I to understand that testing is not currently required or enforced with ongoing discussion?

Any domestic ink supplier of signficance can provide you documentation that their products are in full compliance with current heavy metal (including lead) regulations.

That's reassuring, but there's more than ink and lead in question (phthalates that may be present in plastics and adhesives) correct?

thanks for the comments

So am I to understand that testing is not currently required or enforced with ongoing discussion?

That's reassuring, but there's more than ink and lead in question (phthalates that may be present in plastics and adhesives) correct?

thanks for the comments

I refer you to the following most recent CPSIA announcement:

CPSC Spells Out Enforcement Policy For New Lead Limits In Children�s Products Effective February 10

Yes, phthalates are also in question. They can be used in liquid printing inks (flexo/gravure) as plasticizers but are rarely, if ever used in paste/litho/sheetfed inks.

Inkie,

Are you aware of phthalates being used in any UV ink or UV coating?

Robert

I am not aware of their use in UV products. Their utilitiy in printing inks were as plastiiczers for nitrocellulose based liquid inks, although with years of pressure on phthalates, many ink suppliers have moved away from this class of materials.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back