"liquid metallic" or "liquid foil" ink?

amccolor

Hi all,

I have a customer that provided us with a sample of sheetfed piece that is printed with what looks like a very shiny and reflective PMS877. The printed silver almost has a foil-like sheen to it.

Does anyone know of a sheetfed ink that will be able to print this almost foil-like silver effect?

Thank you,

Anton Cheng
[email protected]

That may have been 'Mirafoil' by Henkel, its not an ink it is a coating and is only available for Flexo, Gravure and screen printing. Not available for litho. We run it in our Anilox coater unit which is after all a Flexo printing unit using a Cyrel plate and get fanstatic results.

it may have been printed on the MAN Roland with a foiling unit. It looks like it is a printed foil because it uses a printed plate with "glue" in the first unit to have the foil "stick" to the sheets in the second unit. Its a very cool process.

What you are looking at is called “MetalFX”
Only a few printers have the patented process.
It is very easy to use and we print it on our sheetfed press.

Is you want more info,
Rick at [email protected]

What you are looking at is called “MetalFX”

MetalFX uses process color overprinting standard luster metallic silver to create a variety of metallic colors. It does not provide a "foil-like" appearance as per the OPs description.

best, gordon p

Yes, here: ECKART Effect Pigments - Printing inks

Your normal ink vendor should be able to get this for you through them.

Make sure you have a good credit history - these inks are expensive. :-(

best, gordon p

We have contacted Eckart and they claim to have what we are looking for. They will be sending us out a sample. They actually have 2 inks that they are recommending. They have Topstar 06 Non-leafing silver and also Topstar Brilliant Silver. We haven't received pricing yet, but I have an idea of what to expect.

Thanks all!

answer

answer

well metilliac is a funny subject have you tried an anliox with 250/60 it works very well ad littile aco you can run about 650 to 750 fpm done it

One note on the high end silvers: The paper you print the metallic on can greatly affect the effect. I suggest having drawdowns made by your current ink supplier on at least 3 like substrates. As has been mentioned, the cost of vacuumized metallic silver is very high. It would be a shame to detract from the piece by putting it on a not -so-suitable stock.

Printing Industries of America Director

Printing Industries of America Director

This could be matallic coating applied on a tower coater with a flexo/relief plate.

We do cold foil in-line on our Heidelberg 10 color duo with the Foil Star attachment.

Very shiny and looks better than silver inks.

Look into the silver coating - Mirafoil by Henkel or a competitive product from Minus Nine 888-672-2123.
Prints in a coater unit and UV cures, and looks like foil. Becoming popular in the high volume consumer product packaging field. Heidelberg, maybe others are selling presses with flexo printing units before the litho units.

Account Service

Account Service

We use the mirafoil method on a 56" UV KBA.

Print MiraFoil (Henkel) using the coating unit with a cyrel plate...then run over the top of it with color....have yet to run everything inline. Pretty expensive stuff and you have to purchase pails of purge to clean the lines out after running.

That may have been 'Mirafoil' by Henkel, its not an ink it is a coating and is only available for Flexo, Gravure and screen printing. Not available for litho. We run it in our Anilox coater unit which is after all a Flexo printing unit using a Cyrel plate and get fanstatic results.

We use Mirafoil on our 56" KBA (litho). The only issue righ now is printing screens of the mirafoil...right now we can only print solids...working on getting a high enough linescreen roller to get the screens to print.

Anton,

I know my good friend Mark Geeves with a long track record in the graphic arts industry just started a new company called COLOR-LOGIC Special Effects for Print and one of his first products is a silver ink and the design software necessary to create metal effects.

Hope this helps!

Hi all,

I have a customer that provided us with a sample of sheetfed piece that is printed with what looks like a very shiny and reflective PMS877. The printed silver almost has a foil-like sheen to it.

Does anyone know of a sheetfed ink that will be able to print this almost foil-like silver effect?

Thank you,

Anton Cheng
[email protected]

Could it be done as a High Gloss Coating or Varnish on top of the silver. It's an option if your press does not have an inline cold foil units (foilstar, etc)

Foil printing

Foil printing

Dear
your print called foil metalic and it need a special machine
to print the sliver first and then print 4 color over it so you can take that result
i hope i was understood enouph
thanks

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back