Lithostar LAPV

maxon

Dear all, I would truly appreciate if you'd share your thoughts about the future of LAPV plates. Would you think Agfa will convert their facilities to photopolymer any time soon?, because I personally don't believe silver material is going to be out for long given the fact it's a hazard to the environment, getting more expensive and on par with photopolymer coatings, quality wise. I don't know how many printing houses still use LAPV esp. in Europe, but if you are one of them would you switch ? Any comments on the subject are more than welcome.

If Steve Musselman (aka SteveAgfa) will not answer your question, that means your concern is justified!

Last edited:
Options from LAP-V

Options from LAP-V

As a competitor to Agfa, of course we'd love to see that happen because it would open up competition in an otherwise closed market. For customers too, the photopolymer market is a lot more competitive - having a choice of multiple suppliers is a good thing (Kodak, Agfa, and Fuji all have violet photopolymer products, and other vendors are testing the waters too). Of course, that switch would force users with older 5mw CTP engines to upgrade though - which in today's economy would be a very difficult thing for many customers to manage. I would predict that a lot of that plate production would go back to service bureaus in the short term at least.

Somehow I doubt that Agfa is eager to give up their monopoly over that customer base, so I'd be very surprised to see them discontinue LAP-V... but I'll let Steve comment on the reality if he can.

Kevin.

maxon:

I can't comment on policy nor make predictions on market futures,
but I can address some of the technical issues you suggest.

Agfa has no need to convert our existing LAP lines to photopolymer,
since we already produce photopolymer in several if not most of our
plant locations anyway. Agfa is a leader in photopolymer - most recently
known as N91V, or our announcements at drupa - N92-V and N92 VCF.

As a single plate technology, LAP-V has been a huge success. And, with
proper recycling, the silver by-product of the process can be recycled.
Silver in and of itself is not a hazard... in fact I'm wearing a band-aid
now with a silver lining to staive-off infection.

I think Kevin said it best...
<snip> ... I'd be very surprised to see (Agfa) discontinue LAP-V... <snip>

Regards,

I am agree with Steve, However, a Chinese Company is manufacturing Silver Halide Plates LAP-V as well as LAP-O. They provide these plates at lower prices. I am in direct contact with Executive management of this Company in China.:rolleyes:

Thrust me Silver will not be with us for long. In Europe most of the printers are converted to Polymer plates.

Thrust me Silver will not be with us for long. In Europe most of the printers are converted to Polymer plates.

Agree! 100%. In North America as well, but we are talking world wide. Silver will be around for at least 10 more years world wide!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back