Looking for a large format solution

AFarster

Anyone have any suggestions for purchasing a large format printer. I am looking for something that I can print on various substrates (Vinyl, Styrene, Plexi, Backlit). I need something that is consistent and speedy.

Thanks.

Re: Looking for a large format solution

I don't know if you are still looking but if you have the money to buy a Ink Solvent Printer, that is the way to go. If you are a budget, I have a HP 5000ps UV 42inch Printer my wife is nagging me to get rid of. It prints on canvas and other stuff. I have gotten some great results on it.

We are also looking for buy a ecosolvent printer. Are there any printers that do not produce any odour, minimum VOCs and don't need any maintenance?? We had a older model Mutoh before and it reaked, plus maintenance was very high and messy.

ian

My recommendation would be to outsource unless you have an endless "supply" of buyers or customers.

Many years experience.

Call if you would like to discuss.

Jack Crowley.....781-545-9537

do you still have this printer hp 5000 for sale? If so please email me at angeli6622mac.com.

Edited by: Ricardo Angelico on Jul 9, 2008 11:12 PM

Ricardo, I saw your post inquiring about one for sale. We have 2 that we barely use and have some interest in selling them. Not sure for how much. have lots of rolls of varying media as well. I wasn't able to get an e-mail through to you. Feel free to contact me about it if you are interested. my email is scott.pieper at schawk dot com.

We have Mutoh Valujet (oce cs9160)

Brilliant machine, but don't forget that for many applications a hot laminator will also be required that will also go upto 64"

Pretty fast and doesn't smell like some, Used for sign shop work.

We used to outsource our larger prints before we got this but found that decent quality work cost at least £35 per sqMetre(laminayed vinyl). with minimum order charges of £150 but we only had a versacamm .

The cheaper trade prints were always done on a lower resolution than we wanted or were poorly laminated or sized incorrectly (you'd be suprised how many people have problems scaling up from a 20% sized image)

Probably not the cheapest poster printer and I think that the advice of not jumping in at the deep end is good!

Leasing is an option, Maintenance on all printers isn't cheap but when out of warranty we have always learned to do much of the work ourselves.

e.g replacing pumps, pipes, heads, some media and ink suppliers will throw in free maintenance and repais if you use their products!

Shop around and look at all the choices and puchasing/leasing options.

We couldn't afford to have one if we didn't use it but it now runs at least 6 hours a day making it a profitable piece of kit doing signs, banners, canvass etc,

I found the Mutoh Valuejet to be the cheapest printer available in the market for its category, not sure how much you paid for it. We are currently looking at the Epson 9000GS which doe sent have any heavy metals in the ink but is double the price of the Mutoh, and the flatbeds start from $65k and up. Not sure which direction to head.
As for outsourcing we are currently doing that now but our suppliers have no prepress skills, one of them has problems outputting pdf files, the other has a minimum charge of $85, the third is really proud of his material, but I found it to be cheap. It seems all the trade shops are going for the cheapest products with no quality or consistency.

We have lost a few clients caus our suppliers didnt pull through, in this dane age it costs a lot in marketing to gain new clientele.

ian

Thanks guys. I am still in the market and have been outsourcing all of my work. This is time consuming and costly. I am in the business of needing thins NOW and the time I spend taking bids on work I could have done the job myself. I have been looking seriously at the Mutoh and a laminator. I need something that will hold up to switching from 10oz vinyl and .020 Styrene in large quantities almost every month.

Does anyone know if there is a RIP option for the Mutoh? Also how are they on PMS colors?

Thanks again.

Edited by: Adam on Jul 30, 2008 9:28 AM

It all depends on what your work base is, if you run alot of images and mount them onto board, go for a good flat bed UV, anything under 150K is not worth buying, I am an engineer, so I know.

If you are looking for a good all round printer, look at Seiko 74/104 (60K), Epson GS, or look out for a second hand, but well maintained Seiko 64s, there will be a few of those going on the market soon.

But if you have the money, Vutek, Durst, HP6100, all in the high 300k+, but UV has its problems, so choose wisely, depending on your type of work.

Wide Format

Wide Format

We can offer the world's only wide format that is truly a GREEN Printer. It uses UV LED and conserves dramatically on energy cost while being totally environmentally friendly. Also can print white. Size range from 62" wide to 95" wide.

Please contact:
GrafAmerica
856 495 9091
[email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back