Looking for a new hydraulic cutter any suggestions?

littledog

We recently have a Challenge 305 MCPB from the early 80's. It has been reliable and solid for as long as we had it. Looking for something with a 25 - 30 inch wide cutting capability. Our price range max. is $25,000 and would be interested in buying used if we could find something. Any suggestions on brands and models?
I am currently looking into a Challenge Champion 305X or 305TC and Duplo 660P. Any comments on those two models or any other. Thanks

Hi little dog!

The company BAUM is selling cutters as well. These cutters are actually made by Polar in Germany. Polar is number one worldwide for cutters. It would take a look.
Buntpapier

Look into Prism Cutters they are very good and half the price of a Challenge. We have had ours for years and it has been really reliable.

We just purchased a new Triumph Hydraulic Paper Cutter. Has multiple pre-sets, so we can train anyone to cut with it. (They just have to make sure they turn the paper the right way). They don't have to calculate the measurements.

Last edited:
Our price range max. is $25,000 and would be interested in buying used if we could find something.
I am currently looking into a Challenge Champion 305X or 305TC and Duplo 660P.

I can't speak for the Duplo. I've seen them, but I haven't operated them.

Those two Challenge machines you are interested in are good machines but they go past your max budget. The manual backgauge Challenge 305 is just shy of $27K MSRP and the programmable backgauge 305TC has a MSRP near $31K. Of course freight, installation, and training will have to factor in to the purchase.

If you were happy with the long service life of your old 30.5" Challenge, I'd get another 30.5" Challenge. A new one will cost more than your stated budget, but it will serve you for a long, long time.

If you truly don't need 30.5" in a new cutter, you can get closer to your budget of $25K. Look at the next size down like the Challenge Titan 265 (26.5"), or the MBM Triumph 7260 (28").

I tested a newer 26" Challenge with black paint. The hydraulic motor runs constantly until it times out. Very annoying in my opinion when the shop is not very loud. Bought a new used Baum 31" for under half the price as new and love it.

We sell many models of the Triunph cutters which are built in Germany. The best 25" paper cutter sells for $15,000, new.

Cutters

David Spiel
Spiel Associates, Inc.
45-01 Northern Blvd.
Long Island City, NY 11101
718-392-7900
[email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back