Looking For Advice/Starting up a Publication printing service

JonathanC

Registered Users
Hi everyone my name's Jonathan and I graduated college with an associates in Digital Arts and Design. I'm currently trying to finish my bachelors in Graphic Design where I'm somewhat learning how to run a printing press. I recently got a job proposition asking me to design and print out weekly supermarket circulars which brought me here. My question is, what printer is best for printing about ... 5-10,000 newsprint monthly paper loads (1-2,000 weekly)/ large paper/Duplex Printing/ full Color. I also would love to know my options in buying paper in bulk if possible preferably newsprint paper.

I'm looking into the bizhub PRESS C8000/ Xerox® Color 560/570 / HP Indigo 10000 Digital Press
The only paper option I'm seeing is on ebay and that's not to reliable.
I also see that some machines need maintenance from the manufacturer which means more down time, so I'm hoping to find a machine capable for this load and more. I would really appreciate your help if guys can.

I also attached a jpg of a supermarket circular for reference.

Attachments

• eb25f0b4aeb79dc0f4abd4ba1974917e.jpg
    eb25f0b4aeb79dc0f4abd4ba1974917e.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 153
Jonathan,

Your best option is probably going to be finding a local printer to produce these for you. I don't think that 2000-4000 impressions a week would justify the cost of the machines you are looking at. By the time you add in your time to run, fold, the click cost, and lease payment you will certainly be in the red. Also keep in mind the max sheet size on these machines is 13 x 19" (no bleed). Contact your local Xerox and Konica Minolta reps to find out what these cost in your area.

As for the newsprint, good luck running that through any of the machines you listed. I run into issues with 20# and usually upgrade to 60# or heavier. Newsprint is typically run on web presses geared at a much higher quantity then you are looking for.

Greetings,

Consider going to the newspaper that the piece will be inserted into and ask them.
good luck. All the best!

Last edited:
Hi Jonathan, I would advice you to go ahead with the idea that Schwanson mentioned. You can actually go to a local printing office and tell them your requirements. They would be the best ones to suggest what would suit you best.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back