Looking for Assistance/Advice (Flexo, Converting, Digital, Screen, Offset)

Hi guys,

New here and new in the industry. Long story short, we are a wheel company (sine wave shaped wheels) and created a product for Flexo, Converting, Digital, Screen, Offset.

We exhibited at LabelExpo 2019 and had an amazing pre-launch there. It has taken until now for us to have an actual product to sell.

QUESTION: with in-person trade shows not happening now for obvious reasons, what method of 'getting the word out' do you suggest within the industry? The product we have extends into anything that is 'roller conveyance', but we are focusing on the above listed industries first. With some of our other products we do Facebook advertising, but not sure if that's the best way to reach customers in printing.

FYI.. we have scientific testing/certifications/etc. already completed and testing in process with some industry leaders.

This is a good place. ;-)
I don't believe that Facebook would be an effective vehicle to get your message out.
For editorial coverage contact: WhatTheyThink and Printing Impressions
Thank you, much appreciated.

The product - sine wave sheets that retrofit onto existing rollers. They center the material and allow the tension to be reduced by 20%. Do you see this as a market NEED? From everything we are told this is the game - maintaining register to reduce downtime and increase profits.

Attachments

• Shark Advantage Tape 3.jpeg
    Shark Advantage Tape 3.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 292
Thank you, much appreciated.

The product - sine wave sheets that retrofit onto existing rollers. They center the material and allow the tension to be reduced by 20%. Do you see this as a market NEED? From everything we are told this is the game - maintaining register to reduce downtime and increase profits.
Others that are more qualified would be better to answer.
Actually I'm surprised that you would ask that question. Usually a "market NEED" is determined before a product is developed. Even your video doesn't really include a clear description of the problem and its potential impact.
On a sidebar, you treat the different market segments (flexo, digital, web, etc) on your website and videos as a monolith. They are not, each will have its own issues and even production terms. It's unlikely, for example, that a flexo printer will watch a video about a coldset web press since it's not specifically directed towards them. Also, your links to your skateboard wheel site and their associated videos do not add credibility to your expertise in solving print manufacturing issues.
Just my opinion.

You may gain some traction with this business by licensing it to OEMs. If you can break into the market via this route, you’ll overcome the enormous hurdles of manufacturers and dealers not recognising or supporting it and potential invalidation of support contracts if users adopt it individually.

Others that are more qualified would be better to answer.
Actually I'm surprised that you would ask that question. Usually a "market NEED" is determined before a product is developed. Even your video doesn't really include a clear description of the problem and its potential impact.
On a sidebar, you treat the different market segments (flexo, digital, web, etc) on your website and videos as a monolith. They are not, each will have its own issues and even production terms. It's unlikely, for example, that a flexo printer will watch a video about a coldset web press since it's not specifically directed towards them. Also, your links to your skateboard wheel site and their associated videos do not add credibility to your expertise in solving print manufacturing issues.
Just my opinion.
We have performed several 'customer discovery' interviews and have done quite a bit of testing, some with industry leaders. Most of our testing has been in flexography to date. The industry is massive and there is a lot to learn, so getting feedback from different segments is very important for us.

Your 'sidebar' points are noted. I think it's great feedback. We have not launched yet and we are in the process of acquiring more content. It's clear the content needs to be more focused/specific for each potential customer.

The other videos were included to show 'Reinvention of the Wheel with scientifically proven benefits may translate into Reinventing the Printing Industry'. We thought it may be a logical step, but it may be too long of a story to convey to a first-time visitor to the site. We also make pallet jack wheels, forklift wheels, farming wheels, casters, luggage, etc. I can see how someone viewing a skateboard-centric video may drop off when they are interested in printing products.

Great stuff.

You may gain some traction with this business by licensing it to OEMs. If you can break into the market via this route, you’ll overcome the enormous hurdles of manufacturers and dealers not recognising or supporting it and potential invalidation of support contracts if users adopt it individually.
Most of our deals are licensing deals for our other products, so this is a very logical point. Instant credibility, all hurdles removed. The only disadvantage is that most companies would want an exclusive and we prefer not to cutoff a huge chunk of the market. This may be the way to go however.

We have performed several 'customer discovery' interviews and have done quite a bit of testing, some with industry leaders. Most of our testing has been in flexography to date. The industry is massive and there is a lot to learn, so getting feedback from different segments is very important for us.

Your 'sidebar' points are noted. I think it's great feedback. We have not launched yet and we are in the process of acquiring more content. It's clear the content needs to be more focused/specific for each potential customer.

The other videos were included to show 'Reinvention of the Wheel with scientifically proven benefits may translate into Reinventing the Printing Industry'. We thought it may be a logical step, but it may be too long of a story to convey to a first-time visitor to the site. We also make pallet jack wheels, forklift wheels, farming wheels, casters, luggage, etc. I can see how someone viewing a skateboard-centric video may drop off when they are interested in printing products.

Great stuff.

Flexo is quite a different world than offset and digital.
You might find this info about GTT’s patented Open Slalom Ink Channel geometry ( What is GTT Laser Engraved Anilox Roll - Apex International ) - it's your sine wave on the anilox roller. There may be synergies there. (BTW anilox rollers are key to flexo printing but have very limited use in other printing methods.)
If you have tested in plant then you might consider testimonials - they can be very persuasive. Especially after beta testing if they bought.
You can briefly include some info about the wheel technology if you can use it to convey the concept/principle at work. But IMHO that's all.

Most of our deals are licensing deals for our other products, so this is a very logical point. Instant credibility, all hurdles removed. The only disadvantage is that most companies would want an exclusive and we prefer not to cutoff a huge chunk of the market. This may be the way to go however.
You could do a delimited exclusive based on performance. I.e. sell x number of units by x date or the licence will no longer be exclusive. That helps put a fire under your licensee.

I think you could use any of the social media platforms as long as you know how to get the most out of it. Even Facebook is a great tool

Flexo is quite a different world than offset and digital.
You might find this info about GTT’s patented Open Slalom Ink Channel geometry ( What is GTT Laser Engraved Anilox Roll - Apex International ) - it's your sine wave on the anilox roller. There may be synergies there. (BTW anilox rollers are key to flexo printing but have very limited use in other printing methods.)
If you have tested in plant then you might consider testimonials - they can be very persuasive. Especially after beta testing if they bought.
You can briefly include some info about the wheel technology if you can use it to convey the concept/principle at work. But IMHO that's all.
This is a great post, thank you. Their technology is similar on the surface, but for a completely different use. It sounds like their tech is superior to other methods? (or is that just marketing?)

I think you could use any of the social media platforms as long as you know how to get the most out of it. Even Facebook is a great tool
We will try social media for our launch this month. We do a lot of social media marketing for our wheel business. I want to target these industries more specifically if I can.

We will try social media for our launch this month. We do a lot of social media marketing for our wheel business. I want to target these industries more specifically if I can.

You're not targeting industries. You're targeting individuals with roles in the various industries.
Your choice of marketing media should be driven by your target audience. IMHO your target audience is made of two groups - influencers (the people who may influence the decision to buy) and decision makers (the people who can make the decision to buy and write the cheque).
I don't believe that Facebook, twitter, etc are effective media choices for reaching either group. Print industry dedicated social media (like this one) are most likely capable of reaching influencers. Print media pundits and print news sites are most effective in reaching influencers and decision makers.
Print trade shows (which are attended by influencers and decision makers) have gone virtual and often host online educational seminars related to new technologies. Those may be worth looking into.
Since you're in SoCal you might consider contacting the Printing Industries Association of Southern California ( PIASC | Helping Graphics Industry Businesses Thrive ). They may put on educational seminars for their members that you might present at.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back