Looking for ctp!

motormount

Hi all!

We are looking for a new ctp and plate proccesor here!

Currently we are outputting around 500+ plates per month for our SM72/SM74 and a single color 70x100-don't know how's that called in inches,28x40 i quess-Heidi's.

Reason we are looking to upgrade is the high cost and the many problems we face with the plate processor,and some problems that every now and then the prosetter comes up with.

We expose agfa violet lap-v plates,and most of our jobs are between 500 to 15000 sheets.

We are thinking going thermal,and we want to keep-and probably upgrade-the prinect workflow we utilize in out middlesized-for the greek standards-printshop.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated,whether on the thermal-violet issue,or on the plate setter and processor manufactures!

Thanks in advance!

manager prepress

manager prepress

To motormount,
benn useing screen 800011 32channel since 2004 outputs 28x40"thermal plates curenntly outputs 13 plates an hour @2400 DPI can be set up for multible punches for sveral differant size plates currently using manual loader but comes with casset for auto load and auto feed direct to processor no problems depending on plates u use kodak or fuji,is alittle cleaner running and u need to set up clean and climate control room no problems since ive been runnig since 04 an ocasional lens cleaning about every year and half again depends what plate u use fuji alittle cleaner running creo is as well equal i chose screen

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Gary!

I'd really like to hear from someone who has worked with both technologies-violet and thermal- and has a field view and opinion on the matter.

Last year we were talking on changing just the plates and i was told-here- that chem free violet plates are a lot less mess,their processor requires less and easier maintenance
and are cheaper.

What kind of maintenance and how often does a thermal plates processor needs?

Thanks again!

Remember cheaper is not always the best way to go. Although your run lengths are short, 15m, so you might be able to spend a little less. The plate maker will be the most critical part of your decision. Screen makes many of the them for the various plate manufacturer and therefore has a leg up, in my opinion. The 32 diode model mentioned by Gary is a great one because if a diode fails the machine still runs just at a slower speed. The machine also lets you know when a diode may going so you can get a service rep in before it happens. There was a 16 diode as well, less expensive but slower.

Agfa has the Azura plate that requires a rinse/gum unit only so you do not have a processor. The unit is stand alone or can be attached to the plate maker. Once gummed the plates fall into a stacking device, that's it. The washout solution is changed once per month, around 5 gallons, that's it. I believe they are lower per square foot as well.

Good Luck

You're right there Bill,cheaper is not always the best way-IMO most of the times is the worst-.

Still i didn't get any answer on violet vs thermal thing!

ps I went to Screen's site and couldn't find a reseller in Greece!

Can't help out with Greece. Try Agfa, the Azura plate maker is made by Screen.

My personal experience has been that those who had violet and switched to thermal were very pleased. The LAP-V plate used a lot of chemistry because it oxidized quickly if they were not busy. When they went to Azura the chemical issues were gone. The cleaning process of the wash-out unit was minimal compared to the LAP-V and the dot retention was 2% to 98% easily. That's what is happening here.

Take care.

Violet/Thermal

Violet/Thermal

Thanks for the reply Gary!

I'd really like to hear from someone who has worked with both technologies-violet and thermal- and has a field view and opinion on the matter.

Last year we were talking on changing just the plates and i was told-here- that chem free violet plates are a lot less mess,their processor requires less and easier maintenance
and are cheaper.

What kind of maintenance and how often does a thermal plates processor needs?

Thanks again!

The biggest advantage of violet over thermal is the cost of equipment repair and up-keep. Most violet platesetters have one laser that should last in the neighborhood of 10,000 hours. The replacement cost of one laser for a violet system is about the same or slightly more than one of the 16, 32, or 64 lasers in a typical "Screen" thermal setter (about $1500 - $2000 + service tech and travel). If you consider a Kodak/Creo thermal unit a laser replacement you're looking in the neighborhood of $20,000 to $40,000.
Agfa has a low-chem violet plate now that is performing well from all reports. It does require a processor but it uses only a gum wash chemistry. I believe you'll find the plate costs are about the same as thermal as well.

Have a great day!
Kim Sakowski

KJSAKS Enterprises, Inc
ph... 702-561-5936
e-mail... [email protected]

Well,thanks again for your help.

I'll have a look on Agfa,as a matter of fact i think of looking whatever i can get my hands on.

Truth is that in the 2.5 years i'm here i've never experienced problems with the prosseter laser.

Instead we have problems with it's grip,sometimes i even have to apply teflon in the drum twice a month,otherwise the plate stucks in,and this doesn't seem logical to me-neither the service people-but if i don't we got grip errors in every single plate.

So-if i got it right- if you have 4 lasers down on a thermal unit you expect to pay 6000 to 160.000 depending on the vendor?

And the 10.000 hours refer strictly to plate writing or just the platesetter being either idle or exposing-cause if it is the second we are far beyond 10.000!

Have a great day too!

Well,thanks again for your help.

I'll have a look on Agfa,as a matter of fact i think of looking whatever i can get my hands on.

Truth is that in the 2.5 years i'm here i've never experienced problems with the prosseter laser.

Instead we have problems with it's grip,sometimes i even have to apply teflon in the drum twice a month,otherwise the plate stucks in,and this doesn't seem logical to me-neither the service people-but if i don't we got grip errors in every single plate.

So-if i got it right- if you have 4 lasers down on a thermal unit you expect to pay 6000 to 160.000 depending on the vendor?

And the 10.000 hours refer strictly to plate writing or just the platesetter being either idle or exposing-cause if it is the second we are far beyond 10.000!

Have a great day too!

Let me clarify...
The 10,000 hours is just a ballpark estimate and is "laser on time".
You are partially correct... if you had 4 lasers go out in a Screen system, Yes you could expect to pay about $6000 for the lasers plus the cost of the technician time and travel... could easily add up to another $2k - $3k, maybe more.
A Presstek system uses 12 to 16 banks of 4 lasers each and cost about $3500 per bank plus the technician
However a Kodak/Creo system does not have an array or 16,32 or 64 laser diodes like Screen. Their's is a sealed laser head that would need replaced entirely at a cost of $20,000 to $40,000 depending on whick model it is.
Using teflon on the drum of your Prosetter is a great idea and you're not the only one doing that. However, if you're using a spray type lubricant be careful not to spray it inside the machine. Instead, spray it on a soft rag and then wipe it on the drum and buff it to dry.
My recommendation is to keep your Prosetter and check out Agfa's new low-chem plate.

My recommendation is to keep your Prosetter and check out Agfa's new low-chem plate.

That was last year's plan,the new one is change both plates and ctp.

Hope i won't be back next year looking for plates ctp and press alltogether...

Thanks again for the advice and the info-i personally use a yellow rag they sell with car cleaning kits,soft and doesn't fluff.

To Motormount,

Please send me your email address so I can give you the contact details for Greece.

Kr
Graph

Last edited:
The biggest advantage of violet over thermal is the cost of equipment repair and up-keep. Most violet platesetters have one laser that should last in the neighborhood of 10,000 hours. The replacement cost of one laser for a violet system is about the same or slightly more than one of the 16, 32, or 64 lasers in a typical "Screen" thermal setter (about $1500 - $2000 + service tech and travel). If you consider a Kodak/Creo thermal unit a laser replacement you're looking in the neighborhood of $20,000 to $40,000.
Agfa has a low-chem violet plate now that is performing well from all reports. It does require a processor but it uses only a gum wash chemistry. I believe you'll find the plate costs are about the same as thermal as well.

Have a great day!
Kim Sakowski

KJSAKS Enterprises, Inc
ph... 702-561-5936
e-mail... [email protected]

I am agree with KIM 100%.I am a service provider for both systems.

Just something to add that I can reduce the chemistry for Thermal and Violet Developer Chemistry by 50% with out effecting the Plate quality.
There is an advance filtration system that can do the job for you. The cost of unit is affordable.So if you do not want to go for process less plates, I suggest to use this system.
An owner of a CTP system shouldn't be hooked to a single brand of plate( LAB-V) Consumable can cost the owners a lot.Chinese plates are coming to our market with high quality and low cost or they are already in our market. Agfa, Kodak and most of the manufacturer of CTP plates have production lines in China.

Try this Advance system for $3200 the filter is cost about $45 with easy Installation. The filter can be changed with every bath change, but in real world the customers change them with every 2 or 3 bath change.
Please visit this link and contact me.
CtP-KL-2Brochure | CTP/CTF Process Management Products

[email protected]

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back