Looking for Optimal C9650 settings for laser plate printing

Emgee

Hi,

I'm hoping the C9650 owners who use it to image laser plates can point me in the right direction to configure the C9650. I've found stuff online but we're still getting a fair amount of toning on the plates (we use Genie, Myriad 2). We've been using an HPLJ5000 and get very clean plates with the 5000. We've added the C9650 as the LJ5000 is slower on some files and it's getting harder to source maintenance kits.

I currently have the 9650 set to Ultra Heavy 2 and configured to Card Stock for the MPF tray settings. I've decreased Paper Black Setting to -2.

The other issue is the toner started to peel off after 200 or so impressions, so some other setting must be off as well.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
You want to set it to transparencies, and that is the hottest fuser setting. I have that same machine, just the Xerox version, and it works great on Hurst SmartIO plates.

Hi, I use Oki ES-3640 which is C9800 series machine with MFP added. We run Ultra-heavy1 but paper - Heavy-Gloss, when you switch the mode, you will see that plate actually goes trough machine slower and that is what you want. I get 15-20k out of plate with solids and 7-12 out of half-tones with Xante Myriad plates.
Transperency? Hmmmm. Will give it a shot.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I was away from the office the last few days, sorry for the late reply.

Where do you make these settings? On the printer itself, in the print driver or both?

The problem we're experiencing is heavy background toning. Not sure how to describe it, but... the image starts about a 1/2" onto the sheet of paper and you can see obvious toning where the image starts on the sheet.

I don't suspect our press chemistry because the same plates (Genie and Myriad 2) imaged off of our HPLJ 5000 prints very clean. Same plates off the C9650 have lots of toning.

I'll try the Ultra-Heavy 1 and Heavy-Gloss settings to see if that changes the toning issue.

Thanks!

One or more of your drums is worn or defective. you can print on regular cover and look close, most likely it will show. Regardless which printer you use it must be perfect to make plates.

One or more of your drums is worn or defective. you can print on regular cover and look close, most likely it will show. Regardless which printer you use it must be perfect to make plates.

Hi UnlimitedBT. So I should take cover stock (say 10pt, c1s)m cut to plate size and run a sample on it? I should be able to see the toning problem on this print?

This is a brand new printer (only 1 week old) and new drum. It could be a defective drum. Are the drums interchangeable on the unit?

Thank you!

Hi UnlimitedBT. So I should take cover stock (say 10pt, c1s)m cut to plate size and run a sample on it? I should be able to see the toning problem on this print?

This is a brand new printer (only 1 week old) and new drum. It could be a defective drum. Are the drums interchangeable on the unit?

Thank you!

On a "new" machine it's not uncommon to have remanufactured drums come with it, but that's not entirely the issue. Set the paper type to Transparency and the size to the size of your plate, and make sure when your are doing the print settings, it's at the highest quality, but b&w only, no composite b&w. After it's printed, clean it good with a laser prep/etch. That should remove all the toner scatter that causes your toning issues. After the prep, wipe the plate with some fountain solutions, and you should be good to go.

On a "new" machine it's not uncommon to have remanufactured drums come with it, but that's not entirely the issue. Set the paper type to Transparency and the size to the size of your plate, and make sure when your are doing the print settings, it's at the highest quality, but b&w only, no composite b&w. After it's printed, clean it good with a laser prep/etch. That should remove all the toner scatter that causes your toning issues. After the prep, wipe the plate with some fountain solutions, and you should be good to go.

Hi graficworx,

We've been using an LJ5000 with Myriad2 and we didn't have to prep or wipe the plates after imaging. They printed clean, aside from the a stray toner dot or two which wasn't a concern.

We'll try that out to see if it cleans it up.

Hi, we have HP LJ 5000 as well but out of Oki plates hold longer. It is kind of obvious if you don't have a problem out of HP with the same plates and chemistry, problem in your other device. Being Copiers service engineer - those, in my opinion, what can cause the issue. If machine brand new - it is kind of a problem since everything expected to work perfect on new machine. Drums are not interchangeable, but on other hand if you print the page and see the background you may hold that to warranty provider and have Drums and/or Image belt and/or fuser replaced at no cost.

We have 5 or 6 of Oki ES-3640 for sale one of them I kept to make plates and actually had some toning and had to replace few drums - that's all it was.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back