looking into litho mounting on corrugated...

Alith7

We are mid-size commercial printer. Our specialty is POP product packaging. Lately, we have been getting a lot of requests for N-Flute and E-Flute corrugated boxes where we would print a litho, mount, diecut, and convert.

So, my boss wants me to find out what equipment/how it works to do this in-house.
---> All I need help with is the mounting. Everything else is covered. We already do it.

I'm going to Print 13, and wanted to check out some options there, but was hoping to get some research done ahead of time so I'm not going blind. I only have two days this year, and my list is too long as it is!

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Most of the equipment I've seen that does this is proprietary. We have a couple of vendors we use for fluting like this and both are pretty tight lipped about the process.

Most of the equipment I've seen that does this is proprietary. We have a couple of vendors we use for fluting like this and both are pretty tight lipped about the process.

I was afraid of that...
to make it even tougher, I HAVE to have as close to exact registration as possible since these will then get die cut. The one vendor that I have that does it wants an insane amount of money to do it. they want enough that my boss, who almost NEVER buys new equipment, wants me to find out what to get since we've had 3 requests from customers in the last week.

If this business is profitable enough to buy equipment it might be worthwhile to look into a flatbed inkjet printer instead and print on pre-fluted stock. You could also use the flatbed inkjet to grow a whole other division within the company.

Just food for thought.

If this business is profitable enough to buy equipment it might be worthwhile to look into a flatbed inkjet printer instead and print on pre-fluted stock. You could also use the flatbed inkjet to grow a whole other division within the company.

Just food for thought.

it's a great thought. we already have a flat bed UV printer in our digital shops. however, we are looking at higher volumes than are feasible on that machine. 2-5k sheet runs and up. it's an interesting niche market in an area where we are already well established. Our specialty is 1k-20k small size POP white board and CCNB type packaging. We have small format diecutters and an extremely versatile converter, that lets us handle some very unique packaging that most shops can't/don't want to touch. We've done Litho sheets frequently in the past for some of our customers that went to full corrugated houses, but they were usually face labels and such for much larger boxes.

I'm finally figuring out the right google terms to use and finding a few equipment builders, one of them is even at the show next month, so it's a start. I was just hoping for some input from the crew here. you're always so helpful! ;)

Alith, have you checked out potdevin? I'm not that familiar with their product line, but I know that's essentially what their machines do. I couldn't speak for throughput vs your application, but I think they're a great company to start with. Potdevin Glues

I found machines made by Bobst and CN-Koten by googling "paperboard laminating" and "paperboard flute". Looks like Mueller Martini doesn't serve this market (I find that odd).

We use an Automatan to glue the litho sheets to the board, and use a Bobst die cutter to cut them out.

If you are unfamiliar with them, here's a video of our Automatan - Automatan - YouTube

And one of our Bobst - Bobst 134 - YouTube

I know you are looking into doing this yourself, but if it's something you want to consider farming out, PM me and I'll get you in touch with the right people here.

Thanks for the input guys!
I am familiar with Bobst. My husband does a lot of work with them, and had already planned on talking to some of his contacts.
I found Automaton in my searches too. their machines looked perfect, but I couldn't find anything on price. I was also looking at Lamina, they are at the show, so I thought I'd take my dept head and check them out.

I will look into the other suggestions too. Than you again for all the help!

Chad~
right now, I don't think we are. And for the small volume and turn times we need, VA is too far. too bad you're not closer to the midwest. ;)
But I appreciate your input! If we go forward with this, I may ask you for some experienced advice since you don't have to worry about us becoming a competitor. We prefer to stay local. We use Kluge's and Heidelberg's to diecut. I think our "newest" machine is is 1987? But they are pretty much tanks, and just keep chugging along. My hubby keeps bugging me to push for a bobst cutter so that we can get blanking dies from him (he works for BSI) but we just don't do that volume.

I understand completely. We have a plant in Tennesse, but that's probably not much closer. Although most of the midwest is 2 days shipping.

I used Kluges and Heidelbergs for many, many years. Before coming to my new job I worked in an offset printing shop for a little over 20 years.

want a job?!?! LOL
our diecutting department is sorely understaffed! Damn this skilled labor shortage! But that is a rant for a different day!

Nah. My main job is in prepress. I only filled in in production when I had to. They had a running joke that when I was doing it, they had to run double the number of impressions to account for how long it took me to set up the job.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back