Lotem 800 and Trillian

margadri

Since we started using Trillian, plates we are having problems with the paper sheets between the plates not getting "grabbed" by the grippers and causing the Lotem to error out. Kodak engineers are out on call almost every second day to try to fix the problem. Changed the rubbers for the grippers, played around the "force" the gripper use and so on. No happiness so far. Only solution is remove manually the paper between plates thus increasing the possibility of two plates getting stuck together. Some batches of plates are worst than others. Has any of you ever had a similar problem or is just us who are soooo lucky. Thank you in advance

Edit: Kodak supplier replaced the batch of plates with new one.
They seems to have less problems with the paper.
It appears that the paper between plates was upside down, meaning that the waxy glossy side was exposed and the rough side was on the plate. When gripper tried to grab the paper, were finding a slippery surface and weren't able to have a proper grab. Still find it hard to believe but that is "one" explanation!
Wierd!!!

Last edited:
Since we started using Trillian, plates we are having problems with the paper sheets between the plates not getting "grabbed" by the grippers and causing the Lotem to error out. Kodak engineers are out on call almost every second day to try to fix the problem. Changed the rubbers for the grippers, played around the "force" the gripper use and so on. No happiness so far. Only solution is remove manually the paper between plates thus increasing the possibility of two plates getting stuck together. Some batches of plates are worst than others. Has any of you ever had a similar problem or is just us who are soooo lucky. Thank you in advance

Edit: Kodak supplier replaced the batch of plates with new one.
They seems to have less problems with the paper.
It appears that the paper between plates was upside down, meaning that the waxy glossy side was exposed and the rough side was on the plate. When gripper tried to grab the paper, were finding a slippery surface and weren't able to have a proper grab. Still find it hard to believe but that is "one" explanation!
Wierd!!!

I am sure that the Kodak guys must have changed registry values, tweezers, etc to overcome your problems. Plate manufacturesrs paper is different so in your case it points to the paper. What plates did you use before? Did you have the same problem with paper dissposal before or is it since you stsrted with the Trillian? When you remove the paper by hand does it come away easily?

We use Sword Excell plates and had problems with paper until we got a better humidifier and keep humidity 40-50%.

I am sure that the Kodak guys must have changed registry values, tweezers, etc to overcome your problems. Plate manufacturesrs paper is different so in your case it points to the paper. What plates did you use before? Did you have the same problem with paper dissposal before or is it since you stsrted with the Trillian? When you remove the paper by hand does it come away easily?

Thank you for replying.
We were using still Kodak DITP Gold and we never had problems before (or maybe occasionally, but never a big issue). Kodak did every bit they could, and yes, the paper comes off easily. As I said in my edit, Kodak replaced the batch of plates and it seems to solve the problem (for the moment)

We use Sword Excell plates and had problems with paper until we got a better humidifier and keep humidity 40-50%.

Thank you for replying.
I must admit that the weather could be a cause
It is winter here in the southern Hemisphere and humidity settings are set to around 35%

Thank you for replying.
I must admit that the weather could be a cause
It is winter here in the southern Hemisphere and humidity settings are set to around 35%

Mark, is correct that you will need a humidifier in the room as 35% is very low so you can get a lot of static. In the Lotem spec the room humidity should be between 50-60%RH

Mark, is correct that you will need a humidifier in the room as 35% is very low so you can get a lot of static. In the Lotem spec the room humidity should be between 50-60%RH

Thank you
Appreciate the input
I will pass the message!

You mentioned that with the slip sheets removed you were increasing the chance plates sticking together. We are running a Trendsetter with the auto loader and have to remove slipsheets manually. Currently we run the Sword plates but have tested some Trillian plates. I like the results of the test and would like to do some more extensive testing. Didi you experience any plates sticking together? have you had any other issues with run length or print quality? We're currently seeing some durability issues with our Sword plate on uncoated papers and with UV whites. We're having to remake some plates after as few as 10,000 sheets.

Hi All,
what might cause the problem is the stactic electricity they use to hold the paper at it's place..What we've tried ( sometimes with succes ) is a grounding wire between the top of the plates and the frame of the machine...could send some pics later..and ofcourse -> humidity...like written before..between 50-60 RH...Recently we had the "problem" with the kodak thermal direct in some machines with autoloader, but it solved now -> more then 2 weeks without an error

You mentioned that with the slip sheets removed you were increasing the chance plates sticking together. We are running a Trendsetter with the auto loader and have to remove slipsheets manually. Currently we run the Sword plates but have tested some Trillian plates. I like the results of the test and would like to do some more extensive testing. Didi you experience any plates sticking together? have you had any other issues with run length or print quality? We're currently seeing some durability issues with our Sword plate on uncoated papers and with UV whites. We're having to remake some plates after as few as 10,000 sheets.

As I said previously, since they replaced the plates with a different batch the problem is "almost" gone. The pressmen don't have yet complained about the plates (and it is a good sign). They have run up to 100.000 sheets without replacement.

@ ChristopheF1 Static is an issue and I would like to see those pictures you mentioned.

Thank you all

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back