Lotem Quantum to Lotem Diodes

Repro_Pro

Scitex/Creo/Kodak Oldtimers may still remember and help:
I wish to convert a Brisque "Express" (IBM 7029-6E3 computer, AIX 5.1, Brisque s/w ver. 5.1.32) that formerly drove a Lotem800II Quantum, to drive our Lotem 800V2 (Diodes).
I shall use "Output Device Handling" to communicate with Lotem using a (twisted) network cable, after modifying to Lotems' IP address .
Once the connection works, I shall try to expose with either of the 2 screening boards (TSP UNI75) using one thread of the dual cable.
I don't know much about installing/creating screen sets
Any knowledgeable comments or advice is very welcome.

Scitex/Creo/Kodak Oldtimers may still remember and help:
I wish to convert a Brisque "Express" (IBM 7029-6E3 computer, AIX 5.1, Brisque s/w ver. 5.1.32) that formerly drove a Lotem800II Quantum, to drive our Lotem 800V2 (Diodes).
I shall use "Output Device Handling" to communicate with Lotem using a (twisted) network cable, after modifying to Lotems' IP address .
Once the connection works, I shall try to expose with either of the 2 screening boards (TSP UNI75) using one thread of the dual cable.
I don't know much about installing/creating screen sets
Any knowledgeable comments or advice is very welcome.
Wow. Ancient history!
Sorry - I've partitioned that memory off to an unassigned area. (forgot everything to do with Brisque)

I admit that up-keeping my ancient equipment is a challenge.
Recently it became even harder since Kodak refused giving me even minimal support - not even (paid) technical advice.
Seems to me Kodak wishes that all their old equipment will be junked.
Well, this oldtimer (me) has other plans.

Assuming that you are intending to use the Brisque just as a driver for the Lotem, to output from another workflow:
The question is, can you even expose direct from the Brisque if the files being exposed are not CT/LW or NCT/NLW with the Linework file being a matching resolution for the Lotem? The screen sets on Brisque are specific to the LW resolution (Res100 for 2540dpi, Res80 for 2000dpi etc)
If you can get over that hurdle, then the screen sets are fairly straightforward, select dot shape, LPI, angles for CMYK, and either a set angle for spot colours or use CMK angles in sequence. Set yellow to be either same or higher LPI and a few other settings. There are also a couple of cool things you can do, eg run FM screening for CMY and AM for black.

Assuming that you are intending to use the Brisque just as a driver for the Lotem, to output from another workflow:
The question is, can you even expose direct from the Brisque if the files being exposed are not CT/LW or NCT/NLW with the Linework file being a matching resolution for the Lotem? The screen sets on Brisque are specific to the LW resolution (Res100 for 2540dpi, Res80 for 2000dpi etc)
If you can get over that hurdle, then the screen sets are fairly straightforward, select dot shape, LPI, angles for CMYK, and either a set angle for spot colours or use CMK angles in sequence. Set yellow to be either same or higher LPI and a few other settings. There are also a couple of cool things you can do, eg run FM screening for CMY and AM for black.
OK, so after doing a bit of research from old discussion boards, it turns out that you can in fact accept 1 bit Tiffs from other workflows providing you are using a TSP board which you are.
However, re-reading your post it looks as if you may be running your entire workflow on Brisque, which then raises the question of how you're handling transparency in files created in current generation programs, I realize you can flatten the files, but there is still a massive overhead for FAF to generate NLW files where transparency was used in the pre-flattened file.

Thank you Magnus.
You are correct, plotting 1 bit files is no problem for Brisque with TSP, we do it regularly for files ripp'ed on modern third party rips (HQ, StudioRip) as well as files done in Photoshop and sometimes, rarely nowadays, CopyDot files we scan from separated films.
Thus, we are not limited to Brisques' ripping limitations.
Regarding the screening modifications on our"new" Brisque, I have realized I can copy screen set details from another Brisque, so as to avoid the dreaded screening issues we had in the distant past.
BTW, where did you gain you knowledge about CT/LW etc.? Were you employed by Scitex?
Again, many thanks for your input.

Thank you Magnus.
You are correct, plotting 1 bit files is no problem for Brisque with TSP, we do it regularly for files ripp'ed on modern third party rips (HQ, StudioRip) as well as files done in Photoshop and sometimes, rarely nowadays, CopyDot files we scan from separated films.
Thus, we are not limited to Brisques' ripping limitations.
Regarding the screening modifications on our"new" Brisque, I have realized I can copy screen set details from another Brisque, so as to avoid the dreaded screening issues we had in the distant past.
BTW, where did you gain you knowledge about CT/LW etc.? Were you employed by Scitex?
Again, many thanks for your input.
My knowledge was gained through working with Brisque for many years, having to troubleshoot issues with little local support due to our location, many hours spent on newsgroup forums such as alt.print.prepress where many experts lurked, and by picking the brains of Brisque experts such as Heinz Widmer and Barak Patel.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back