Mac Server - NAS?

kaiserwilhelm

This might be in the wrong category. We are DYING here! Our Mac Nas is a pice of #$%#. It is 12 terrabyte, but talking with AFP is the pits! Folders get created and can be seen on an SMB share, but suddenly, without any warning, go invisible to the Macs!
I have even tried connecting SMB from my Mac. This kills resource forks on fonts - but it is a price I will pay. We have also run a script that kills Spotlight. All to NO avail!
What are you using for a Mac server?

I am not using a Mac server but rather a Windows server with Acronis Access Connect (formerly ExtremZ-IP). I've been using it for years and have had no problem with it. I connect to my Windows server using AFP (and SMB from my Windows PC's).

I have seen some articles on the internet about NAS and AFP not playing well together.

Hope this helps,
pd

We use QNAP.... very reliable for many years.... (knock wood)
QNAP.com

We use QNAP.... very reliable for many years.... (knock wood)
QNAP.com

This is what we use! Can I ask - what OS are you on? Are you AFP to the QNAP? We "lose" folders that cannot be found until we get on a PC with SMB and copy them and make them visible again. That is just one small part of what we are going through

I am not using a Mac server but rather a Windows server with Acronis Access Connect (formerly ExtremZ-IP). I've been using it for years and have had no problem with it. I connect to my Windows server using AFP (and SMB from my Windows PC's).

I have seen some articles on the internet about NAS and AFP not playing well together.

Hope this helps,
pd

What does this do to your fonts? I have fought a PC server for years. Used to be the forks on the fonts. Since I use UTS, I really do not need to save the fonts on the server anyway. However, seems like we had modification date issues of some sort back in the day?

we have no issues like that. They have many different models though. Have you updated the firmware lately?

Also helpful to just reeboot them every month or two

Last edited:
What does this do to your fonts? I have fought a PC server for years. Used to be the forks on the fonts. Since I use UTS, I really do not need to save the fonts on the server anyway. However, seems like we had modification date issues of some sort back in the day?

It does not do anything to them. They just work.

Another alternative would be HELIOS Universal File Server software, which runs on all major server platforms, to provide cross-platform file sharing, synchronization, and Spotlight searches. It includes full feature AFP 3.3 and SMB/CIFS servers for LAN users, and private cloud file sharing/ web portal for remote users, including iOS and Android mobiles.

Tom Hallinan
HELIOS Software GmbH

Working just fine on Windows 10 x64 "server" (pro edition pc) from macos 10.12.3. Sometimes we get permission issues on the Macs, where it says there is a file still open somewhere, but I don't think it's worth $795+ to fix. Maybe the 10.12.4 update that came out yesterday will solve issues, as it seems introduced in 10.12.3.

This might be in the wrong category. We are DYING here! Our Mac Nas is a pice of #$%#. It is 12 terrabyte, but talking with AFP is the pits! Folders get created and can be seen on an SMB share, but suddenly, without any warning, go invisible to the Macs!
I have even tried connecting SMB from my Mac. This kills resource forks on fonts - but it is a price I will pay. We have also run a script that kills Spotlight. All to NO avail!
What are you using for a Mac server?

We use a Netgear Ready NAS Pro and use only SMB. No issues.
​​​​

We use NAS and connect with AFP. We only get missing folders when we move a lot of files about during the same day. It is almost as if it takes time for the directory to update. Also usingy bash script inside Apple script or automator can do the same. The folders show up in they end. When in doubt I connect via ftp and that always shows the full picture and keeps us working.

If you're using NAS and miss spotlight, try Easyfind.

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11076/easyfind

Last edited:
Helios is probably the the best technical solution to the problem.

I use smb with my Mac's to my Windows servers. But what most Mac users don't do is bind their Mac's to the Windows domains for centralized user account management. This helps keep permissions squared away when accessing files on the server or vice versa. Takes a bit of planning and forethought but down the road it mitigates many problems.

If you can get a Helios server you'll be happy.

Hello,

We also use ExtremZ-IP, it works pretty good, and no losing of resources (font-issue) on Mac
But expanding ZIPs with PC it font issues happen! (maybe coflicting packing by mac)
It's not perfect because working-refresh and search speed

EasyFind (Mac) is also a awesome fast and clever program with several search options

NetGear Ready NAS sucks.......... slllllooooowwwww (ompared to QNAP) and sometimes AFPservice gets stuck at our company

I have not seen the font issue Kumpel described. I will say that older style Postscript Type 1 fonts will show as zero K in Windows until you convert them for Windows compatibility using an app like Fontgrapher.

Cheers,
pd

Helios is probably the the best technical solution to the problem.

I use smb with my Mac's to my Windows servers. But what most Mac users don't do is bind their Mac's to the Windows domains for centralized user account management. This helps keep permissions squared away when accessing files on the server or vice versa. Takes a bit of planning and forethought but down the road it mitigates many problems.

If you can get a Helios server you'll be happy.

Matt - I am not finding where to buy one or how much?

Whoops. Found it. Sorry

Last edited:
Why not use OS X (plus the Server App) for this purpose? Even using an aging Mac, connected to any kind of hard drive enclosure will yield a reliable and genuine Apple performance.

Because Macs don't interface well with other PCs? I remember having to downgrade my security settings on Windows 7 to be able to see shared files in a Mac.

Mac fonts, there are a few different flavors of them. Mac OS 9 and prior had the fonts stored in the Resource Fork and not the Data Fork. When you buy a font now, the font is stored in the Data Fork.

Even if you still have fonts which are 10 plus years old. They are still not a problem when ONLY using SMB. I say only, because the file has to be copied from the Mac to the SMB share. When this happens, the Mac still writes the Resource Fork to the SMB share and the Mac will still access the font correctly.

What will NOT work. Copying the old font to the fileserver via AFP, unmounting the Fileserver. Then mounting the fileserver using SMB. Your font will show 0kb because the special Resource Fork wasn't created for use with this mapped SMB drive.

Reactions: Joe

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back