W2k external Drive with Mac Fonts now on W2k8 fonts are corrupt

tcollins

I finally updated my old server which we use to back up all the files from the main File Server to external hard dirves. (which then get backed up to Tape for desaster recovery)

The old server was running Windows 2000 Server and the files were copied off incrementally to external hard drives via a simple move script, 90% of the files were used by apple macs and stored on the File Server then moved to the exteranl hard drive as a final storage, now that I have updated to a new server Running Windows 2008 Server and have put the External Hard drives (from the Old Server) onto the new server all the Mac postscript fonts are corrupt when we copy them back to the shared folder that the macs can access on the new server.

But if I copy the fonts back to an old server running windows 2003 or 2000 the fonts are OK.

How do I get Windows 2008 to share the fonts correctly via SMB without having to copy the fonts back to old technology, why does microsoft always have to stuff around with things that work.

Microsoft depreciated Services for the Macintosh between Windows Server 2000 and 2008 so the new server doesn't have the frameworks in place to properly deal with Mac Resource forks.

Apple has added it's own methods for dealing with this on the OS level, so the easiest way for you to make this work would probably be to have a Mac hook up with the old box however you used to and to the new box via SMB. Then just do your file copy from the Mac.

When the Mac copies the files in will include invisible resource forks with each one so the fonts will be usable in other Macs. You'll need to make sure that whatever system you use for tape backups is set to copy the invisible data as well.

Shawn

I agee with Shaw. W2k Server had the correct extensions to deal with Mac metadata file (the .filename files). Microsoft took those extensions out, so the metadata that tells the Mac what kind of file it is won't be there, and the Mac sees it as corrupt, even though it's really not. For a bit of background on Mac filesystems, these metadata files store what the file type is, what application to open it with, and this is how the Macs can get away with not having a file extension. If you copy the files, via the Mac, from the old server to new server, using SMB on the new server, the Mac should copy the files correctly so that the PC server can store them.

Thanks guys but I was hoping to see if there was an application or plugin that would convert the files or tell Windows 2008 what the files are so they show correctly when a mac accesses them so we dont have to keep the OLD server running as we don't have much space for the OLD server.

As per normal I will have to do this copy from the Old Server to the new server and hope that the OLD server does not die as W2k is no longer supported by microsoft and the server would be hard to find parts for.

Thanks guys but I was hoping to see if there was an application or plugin that would convert the files or tell Windows 2008 what the files are so they show correctly when a mac accesses them so we dont have to keep the OLD server running as we don't have much space for the OLD server.

As per normal I will have to do this copy from the Old Server to the new server and hope that the OLD server does not die as W2k is no longer supported by microsoft and the server would be hard to find parts for.

What version are the Macs running? What filesystem are the external drives on the Old Server?

Once you get done the copy you can turn off and remove the old server. The data copied from the Mac to the new server will contain the correct resource fork data to be read from other Macs.

Shawn

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back