Machine that can handle 300GSM Cardstock? Any Ideas?

mukomio

Hi Everybody,

I am a super Newbie when it comes to copier machines.

I need a machine that can print on cardstock. My requirement is 250-300GSM - ideal material size would be 11" x 17". I will be printing black vector lines and numbers.
So this is for building cardstock models. Not a professional printing service. The volume I will print is small. I guess it will be 200-300 pages/month at max.
Digital printer is ideal because I want to also print on coated materials.

After a long search I found out that copier machines might be right for this task. I found an older Konica Minolta C220 that seems to meet the requirements. But it is a bit expensive.
Are there any tips for cheaper and older machines that can handle these requirements?

Ideal price point:
- 700$
- 300GSM
- 11x17 inches.
- 200-300 prints/month
- BW but color would be great too.

Any information would be great. You guys have the experience. There is so much stuff out there that I would love to hear from you guys and have at least a small filter to begin with.

Cheers
M

Have you looked at the OKI range? Maybe even a second hand unit. The running costs are terrible for production work, but for a few hundred prints a month, they would be perfect.

Have you looked at the OKI range? Maybe even a second hand unit. The running costs are terrible for production work, but for a few hundred prints a month, they would be perfect.

I might be wrong, but I think the OKI's are way outside of that price point, unless you're buying a very used unit.
I know our c931e was waaaayyyy over $700.

There's not much out there with only a $700 budget. Also, from the description of what you will be doing with the machine (vector lines, numbers, card stock models, etc.), you'll probably need a printer that will not only handle your desired 300 gsm, but, also has solid, predictable, alignment/registration. That's not usually found on a small office printer. I think you're best bet at this time would be to align yourself with a local printer that has a larger, more expensive production class printer, pay by the piece and then mark it up. At least, until your volume increases to the point where it becomes more financially feasible.

Thanks for taking the time and answering. I can definitely spend more on the machine. I just saw old konicas on ebay for around 800$.
I need that machine in my workshop. Local printers are not an option.

I have no idea about the different backgrounds of the brands. I have no idea if an OKI is the better option against a Konica Minolta.
I was hoping that there is kind of an alltime classic entry level machine that is reliable and easy to find because it was produced so often.
I Just heard that Ricoh machines seem to be more on the cheaper side and meet my requirements.

Is there for example a really good 2nd hand source for copier machines?

You might check with a company called "J J Bender". I know they handle second market for most of the bigger production presses. I don't know if they handle the smaller machines

I wanted to ask just the same question. I'm constantly needing to prototype playing cards, and 300-325gsm is the usual range for that cardstock. 300gsm seems to be the very upper limit of what a mass-market printer will do. (The Canon Pro 100 claims to handle 300gsm)

I picked up an Epson R2000 figuring that if it would handle 1mm artboard, it would handle 325gsm. But nope. It hates the stuff.

I too would love to hear more recommendations on a printer that will handle thick stock with aplomb. The Oki c911dn looks solid, and the price for one new is... well, I could come around to paying that if I couldn't find an alternative.

How about an HP 9800 inkjet. Has a straight through paper path from the back if you hand feed. It says 280 gsm but I'm guessing it would go much thicker based on my experience with similar older HP inkjets. As long as it's not thick enough to hit the head I don't see there being much limitation since there is no bending at all in the paper path.

I wanted to ask just the same question. I'm constantly needing to prototype playing cards, and 300-325gsm is the usual range for that cardstock. 300gsm seems to be the very upper limit of what a mass-market printer will do. (The Canon Pro 100 claims to handle 300gsm)

I picked up an Epson R2000 figuring that if it would handle 1mm artboard, it would handle 325gsm. But nope. It hates the stuff.

I too would love to hear more recommendations on a printer that will handle thick stock with aplomb. The Oki c911dn looks solid, and the price for one new is... well, I could come around to paying that if I couldn't find an alternative.

Not sure what you mean by "mass-market printer", but, the majority of the mid-range digital production presses come spec'd to run 350 GSM (Xerox, Canon, Ricoh, KM).

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back