Mail Inserter Advice

I NEED TO PURCHASE A NEW INSERTING MACHINE. PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON TOP BRANDS. WE DO ABOUT 50,000-250,000 ENVELOPES A MONTH. IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT FLAT SIZES AT THE MOMENT, BUT MAYBE SOMETHING THAT WILL HANDLE THICKNESS UP TO .25" ......SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON BELL HOWELL, FLOWMASTER, MAIL CRAFTERS, QUADIENT INSERTING MACHINES.........ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP! LOOKING FOR 6 POCKETS AND CAMERA TECHNOLOGY

I NEED TO PURCHASE A NEW INSERTING MACHINE. PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON TOP BRANDS. WE DO ABOUT 50,000-250,000 ENVELOPES A MONTH. IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT FLAT SIZES AT THE MOMENT, BUT MAYBE SOMETHING THAT WILL HANDLE THICKNESS UP TO .25" ......SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON BELL HOWELL, FLOWMASTER, MAIL CRAFTERS, QUADIENT INSERTING MACHINES.........ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP! LOOKING FOR 6 POCKETS AND CAMERA TECHNOLOGY
No need to yell at us lol.

I am a small shop with volumes closer to 5,000-50,000, so my experience is not going to be suitable to your use case. One thing I've noticed in these threads though, is price is a huuuuge factor in what you can reasonably assume you'll be able to get. So let everyone here know your estimated budget for the machine and they'll be much more likely to tell you if something they purchased for a similar amount is good/bad/ugly.

I am a small shop with volumes closer to 5,000-50,000, so my experience is not going to be suitable to your use case. One thing I've noticed in these threads though, is price is a huuuuge factor in what you can reasonably assume you'll be able to get. So let everyone here know your estimated budget for the machine and they'll be much more likely to tell you if something they purchased for a similar amount is good/bad/ugly.
Somewhere in the ball park of $200,000(new/refurbished)

Greg's right. The Flowmaster would be my "Dream Machine". But, they're hard find, and expensive to buy.
When you say 50k to 250k per month, how are those ran? Is it pretty evenly spread out throughout the month, or, is it one long job.
Trying to get a feel for your peak load. If spread out and daily, 250,000 per month is only around 62,500 per week, or 12,500 per day.
For a decent used 6-pocket B&H swing-arm, (around $20k) that's only a couple of hours of work per day. Don't know the cost of retro-fitting it w/camera though.

Depending on what you want done the flagship ds-1200 inserter from Quadient can do that with no problem if you are looking for a barcode reading closed loop type system.

Watching it switch from 6x9 envelopes to #10 envelopes with a push of a button is mesmerizing.

Greg's right. The Flowmaster would be my "Dream Machine". But, they're hard find, and expensive to buy.
When you say 50k to 250k per month, how are those ran? Is it pretty evenly spread out throughout the month, or, is it one long job.
Trying to get a feel for your peak load. If spread out and daily, 250,000 per month is only around 62,500 per week, or 12,500 per day.
For a decent used 6-pocket B&H swing-arm, (around $20k) that's only a couple of hours of work per day. Don't know the cost of retro-fitting it w/camera though.
every day usually we have around 1-3 slightly different set ups. I wouldn't say we constantly change over but something can handle the common sized envelopes (NO FLATS) and not too much of a pain to change over. Read to print is something I'm really interested in

Depending on what you want done the flagship ds-1200 inserter from Quadient can do that with no problem if you are looking for a barcode reading closed loop type system.

Watching it switch from 6x9 envelopes to #10 envelopes with a push of a button is mesmerizing.

I do have a contact at that company that I'm currently talking to. Any idea how much those run with matching software and inkjet module?

I do have a contact at that company that I'm currently talking to. Any idea how much those run with matching software and inkjet module?
Ask them if the service maxes out at a specified volume. We had a 90i that had 3 million cycles but was still a current model and they would no longer support it because it was at the end of life volume wise. It's been a few years but I think we needed a new drive motor and they wouldn't support it.

@Craig did your volume increase after you got the machine? Most salespeople will take your known volume and make sure the machine will handle it for the life of the lease, the 90i is more than 3 million cycles.

But you are correct, with any machine you should know what it is rated for, especially in high volume environments.

How about 1,000 a month max. What would I need?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back