Mail Merge job - NO Sequence Numbers allowed.

gregbatch

I have a customer that wants a 4 page, 2 sheet fold and slit letter mail merge (presorted) match, but will not accept a sequence number anywhere. What can you do to make sure you are keeping the job in order without going crazy?

You could print out a spreadsheet of the recipients and charge hourly for and checking if you have the manpower. For USPS Presort with mail barcodes, you don't need to keep the mail pieces in sequence, just sorted by tray or sack.

You could print out a spreadsheet of the recipients and charge hourly for and checking if you have the manpower. For USPS Presort with mail barcodes, you don't need to keep the mail pieces in sequence, just sorted by tray or sack.
Yes, just need to be in proper tray for mailing, but needs to stay in sequence for the match insertion. Coming off the folder is the main issue. I guess the list can help keep it straight through any folder mishaps, and then manually spot check the insertion, and charge well for it all. We'll see how important it really is after they get the price difference.

We sometimes sneak a sequence number into the endorsement line so it looks like it's a postal requirement.
Otherwise you just need to be super careful and spot check frequently, because it's super easy to mess up if you don't have something to easily identify.

We sometimes sneak a sequence number into the endorsement line so it looks like it's a postal requirement.
Otherwise you just need to be super careful and spot check frequently, because it's super easy to mess up if you don't have something to easily identify.
No OEL on this one. We are putting a tiny sack/pack up near the stamp on first and last only. I could pop a UV cartridge in the Falcon for the envelope. Can't do that on the Konica. It's promised to be a regularly occurring job, so would be nice to make it work without much pain for either of us. No sleep tonight... I know my brain won't let it go.

After a long night of brainstorming in my sleep I may have come up with something. It requires a modified version of a security font I created for ballot mail and a delivery from Amazon to test, but this could be awesome. To be continued...

Or if you have the option to use infrared ink, and then when matching, you would need the correct wavelength of light to view it. That potentially should work too, and keep the customer happy.

Or if you have the option to use infrared ink, and then when matching, you would need the correct wavelength of light to view it. That potentially should work too, and keep the customer happy.
UV for the Falcon to do the envelopes.

Do you have 5th color? Print it in clear or white.
Don't have a 5th color, but my experiment worked. I modified my microdot font (actually made the dots bigger to print at a small size) that I created for ballots and ballot applications. The font made it minimal, but I couldn't figure out how to make it near invisible. Then I remembered an old Ikea billboard that was done in CMY and they changed messages by shining R, G, & B lights on it. I placed the sequence in the upper right corner in pure Y. It's very difficult to see even when you know it's there. But when you shine a blue light on it (thank you Amazon for same day delivery) it's clearly visible. I just used a small blue LED flashlight for the test. I can clamp a lamp onto the inserter and put a blue LED bulb in there. Finally got a picture. Sample is 14 pt.

20211214_171111.jpg
20211214_171917.jpg

Last edited:
Don't have a 5th color, but my experiment worked. I modified my microdot font (actually made the dots bigger to print at a small size) that I created for ballots and ballot applications. The font made it minimal, but I couldn't figure out how to make it near invisible. Then I remembered an old Ikea billboard that was done in CMY and they changed messages by shining R, G, & B lights on it. I placed the sequence in the upper right corner in pure Y. It's very difficult to see even when you know it's there. But when you shine a blue light on it (thank you Amazon for same day delivery) it's clearly visible. I just used a small blue LED flashlight for the test. I can clamp a lamp onto the inserter and put a blue LED bulb in there. Finally got a picture. Sample is 14 pt.

View attachment 291091View attachment 291092
Share your microdot font, pelase? DM ok. :)

Pretty cool, we use white ink on white paper to print on when we need to add stuff that needs security or needs to be "hidden". Works well and can be done with variable data while printing the rest of the piece. Hold it at an angle and you can see it.

Pretty cool, we use white ink on white paper to print on when we need to add stuff that needs security or needs to be "hidden". Works well and can be done with variable data while printing the rest of the piece. Hold it at an angle and you can see it.
Yep. White or clear would be nice. A Ricoh with invisible red would be better. I have another year on the Konica lease.

Awesomely creative solution. I am going to remember this one in case I ever need similar in the future. I am also interested in this font, even if that means purchasing through the limited channels. I regularly do work for local elections. A google isn't showing me much of anything with that font name. Thanks for any info.

Awesomely creative solution. I am going to remember this one in case I ever need similar in the future. I am also interested in this font, even if that means purchasing through the limited channels. I regularly do work for local elections. A google isn't showing me much of anything with that font name. Thanks for any info.
It hasn't been available since the 2020 elections. Since then I've been adding the alpha characters and fine tuning letters and spacing for readability. It hasn't been my #1 project, and I finally finished a few weeks ago. I was getting ready to look for a download service so I don't have to manually email it this round. Now, because of this recent challenge I have 4 new versions of varying dot size. I think I will just bundle all 5 of them together for the same price. Enough said. When I get it packaged, I'll send a link to whoever DMs me. This thread has evolved beyond the scope of this board.

Last edited:
It hasn't been available since the 2020 elections. Since then I've been adding the alpha characters and fine tuning letters and spacing for readability. It hasn't been my #1 project, and I finally finished a few weeks ago. I was getting ready to look for a download service so I don't have to manually email it this round. Now, because of this recent challenge I have 4 new versions of varying dot size. I think I will just bundle all 5 of them together for the same price. Enough said. When I get it packaged, I'll send a link to whoever DMs me. This thread has evolved beyond the scope of this board.
FontForge is awesome!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back