MAN ROLAND 300 / tail wrinkles / distortion

fireplug55

We are running 30-pound paper on this press, two sides.
Printing the first side everything seems to run well.
On pass two we get wrinkles and print distortion on the tail edge to the sheet.

My guess is the use of IR lamps on the first side of the sheet, but I am unable to convince everyone. We are running a test now printing with no IR's. More news to come but if you have any input please feel free to tune in.

My guess is the use of IR lamps on the first side of the sheet, but I am unable to convince everyone. We are running a test now printing with no IR's. More news to come but if you have any input please feel free to tune in.

Could this be related to your problem of uneven dampening that you described in another post?

i have a hard time believing it's from the IR lamps.

wrinkles

wrinkles

paultheprinter might be on to it...... one test you can do is take a virgin(notprinted)sheet off your paper pile lay it down on flat table cutter bed will do look to see if it lays flat if you have humps or warp or wavy paper you could be experiening humidity trouble which can cause tight edge or wavy paper will give you wrinkles happen to me over the years also with that same sheet put the first printed pass next to it and see if there is a noticable difference in how it lays on the table this can show a water problem or even if your wheels might be driving sheet into headstops (bowing the sheet ) sometimes you can reduce the severity or the occurrence of the wrinkles by playing with the feeder brush wheels watch out check to make sure the sheet doesnt start bouncing though hope this helps .......good luck

Again, turn all air blast off or to min. Through the press the air blast will blow the tail end right before it goes into the next unit. All IM. press cylinder air blast off will solve the problem.

lets try to much gripper bite , if you exceed 5 mm you will wrinkle thin or light weight paper,or if running 16 pt board you can get that very ugly blurr.. make sure no one has moved front guides to farback this will give to much gripper bite (putting to much paper in the gripper causing the sheet to pucker) as for the heater run it this will help dry the ink on uncoated stock.. making 2nd side print less apt to pickon imp cyl.

A test was run before making any changes to the press. The test was nothing more than truning off the IR lamps and running 10,000 sheets. Wow no more wrinkles, after this test the front guides were adjusted and we continued to run with no IR lamps. Hundreds of thousands of sheets have been run since this test with no wrinkling or tail distortion.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back