man roland packing

kbarz

heres the question ,man roland 300 7 color perfects between 1 and 2. we use the press for straight line printing. a bit of a dispute among workers as to what the press should be packed to on the blankets... been running the press for 6 years going 0.02 over beares, now we are told this should be 0.04.. put guage on the press many times always 0.02 over beares on the blanket cyl.(undercut is 0.78) tks.

roland packings

roland packings

Hi kbarz
What does the operation manual for the press suggest for packing the blanket, reading your thread the difference between 0.02mm and 0.04mm is not much. I am running a roland 700 and the operation manual recomends that you pack the blanket to bearer hieght and the plate 0.1mm over bearer.
0.1mm is the same as 0.004 thou in inches, do you meen inches or mm .
regards johnyprint

It depends, Manroland traditionally packs .05mm/.002" above bearer.
For the plate and the blanket. When run on bearers, this generates the .1mm/.004" squeeze.
If you're not getting enough squeeze to the paper, increase the blanket to .1mm/.004" above
bearer, adjust the plate packing to 0 or back off plate cylinder pressure.
Hope this helps.

You have a manroland Roland 300, if your question is related to Blanket packing the R300 uses technology that is related to the Miller as far as the the cylinders are concerned, follow the instructions per the manual, as you move further the down the press the packing needs to increase, man roland has guidelines and as such they are only guidelines, It is usually a good starting point The R700 and R900 machine have a different bearing system, they use bushings for bearing and the R300 uses preload roller bearings, please let us know if you need further documentation or if you have problems associated with this.

Thanks

John

heres the question ,man roland 300 7 color perfects between 1 and 2. we use the press for straight line printing. a bit of a dispute among workers as to what the press should be packed to on the blankets... been running the press for 6 years going 0.02 over beares, now we are told this should be 0.04.. put guage on the press many times always 0.02 over beares on the blanket cyl.(undercut is 0.78) tks.

the mesurments are in inches,, and using reeves compressable 0.76 thick, with blankets packed to 0.02 over bears,pull solid sheets and they look great, this press was set to hallmark cards standards and i heard they were very ridged on press installation,and getting the press to there specs,

R300

R300

Checking the cylinder packings:
− Check the cylinder packings with the dial gauge.
− Blanket cylinder: blanket with underpacking = 0.03 to 0.05 mm above bearer.
− Plate cylinder: plate with underpacking = 0.1 mm above bearer.
The blanket cylinder undercut is 2.00mm (80 thousandths of an inch)
The plate cylider undercut is 0.50mm (20 thousandths of an inch)

Normally pack the blanket to bearer height, and the plate 0.1 mm (.004 over bearer)
I have found the press will run well with 0.15 packing under the blanket. There is a risk of "window framing" from the increase in plate to blanket pressure. Use the blanket packing sheets supplied by Roland as they are far superior to normal packing sheets available having far less voids in them.

If you constantly run rough surface uncoated substrates you will propably need to run with the slight increase in blanket packing (0.15mm).

Do you have CPL? The plate packing on this press will be stepped and requires two sheets of permanent plate packing per plate cylinder. You should change them when the packing on the plate cylinders starts to look scratched and dull. If it is like this the cpl motors will have a hard time moving the plates and you will get error signals and probably red plus signs on the console display. The packing sheets should be shiny and smooth.
There is an a pdf attached taken from my records which may help you
Good luck

Attachments

• Checking the cylinder packings.pdf
    71.9 KB · Views: 293
You theoretical print pressure is 0.1mm (.004") between blanket and paper as well as blanket and plate. Plus 0.1mm (.004") is not unusual special printing on board. Miller liked to make mystery out of there packing philosophy which did not end with Miller and continued with the manroland R300 which is nothing else as a TP74 dressed up in manroland uniform.
It is the printers carftmanship which allows him to go of this guide lines to achieve the best results for him.
My philosophy is less pressure is better so if you back off 0.05mm (.002") and you brake-up you in the "sweet" spot.

i shoot for .004" total squeeze between plate and blanket and arrive at it by tryin to match the print lenghth of other presses in the shop. how you get there matters less to me than being able to print all units the same lenghth as the rest of the shop. if there is no need to match other presses print lenghth than i would go with manufacturers specs which are usually stamped onto a plaque somewhere on one of the printing units bear in mind this .004" total squeeze is assuming your running a compressable blanket. id try to avoid anything out of spec by more than .006" just so as to not be nearing any extremes that make cause contact problems with your roller settings.

Last edited:
Perhaps with a question like this you should call manroland. 1.800.676.5263
The R300 packs the same as the other manroland presses. 2 over on the blanket and 4 over on the plate. If you are having contact problems then the zero setting of the impression cylinder needs to be checked. I would also recommend checking your blankets and packing sheets to make they are stamped correctly. If you put to much pressure between the plate and blanket then you risk damage to the bearings. Always follow the book and if this does not work there must be a reason why.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back