Managing press sheets

jsmith

We are trying to tighten up our process for managing the quality of press sheets in the stack when they come off press and head into the bindery. We are currently using markers to indicate what is good and what is not. We have also considered tags to indicate issues. We are wondering if anyone has come up with another process to indicate which sheet in the stack is good or bad.
Thanks

Never leave M/R or bad sheets in the load. I always flag bad sheets and pull them out before the load even makes it to bindery. Sometimes people in bindery don't know what to look for as a pressman would because he flagged it. The pressman should be responsible for delivering the best to bindery without them having to scratch their heads wondering why there is a flag in the load.

I tag an issue, be it scumming or a hickey, and very clearly note what the issue was, how many affected sheets, and if overs have been run to compensate if required. Make ready sheets at the bottom of the pile are clearly flagged with a tag that has "MR below flag" written on it, and then i use a marker and put a hash mark below the flag witha line that clearly delineates run sheets from MRs. When a job is a work and turn, the MR sheets are discarded on the back up, and all position check sheets are binned...

Got to keep the bindery happy...

There has been times that it was my belief that the bindery took those bad sheets I left in the pile, but clearly marked, and used them for samples.

Don't take the chance I know it's hard sometimes. Maybe best to be on very good terms with your bindery guy or gals.

if you trust your post press co workers to not hang you out to dry i suggest in addition to load markers that you develope a plant wide coding system that has you marking the gripper of your loads with various colored felt tip markers. by doing this you make it possible to identify problems even if the load markers are pulled out or pushed into the load. for me red = waste sheets or sheets that are ng. blue = office copies or best of the run. placement of the red marker on the gripper of the pile can also indicate where on the sheet to look for a potential problem.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back