Manual ream/stack cutter minimum cutting depth issue

wentworth

Ive just purchased a manual ream/stack cutter that has a minimum cutting depth of 30mm. Ie. the closest the backstop can get to the blade is 30mm. I could manually move what im cutting closer to the blade but just wondering if there is a common workaround to keep it all square. Like some accurate 30mm block of some sort that you can put in there to shift the paper forward? Any ideas or experience with this?

I would've said 30mm is pretty small. If you can't live with a 30mm off-cut, you could consider improvising a wooden 'front guage' rather than using the backguage. Cut or have yourself a block of wood cut perfectly square and thicker than the maximum pile you would cut. You can then square this block to your side fence and position your paper pile behind the block. Bring the clamp down, remove the block and then bring the blade down. Keep in mind that guillotines are potentially dangerous and with workarounds like this, you are responsible for safety procedures and precautions. Personally, I'd settle for the 30mm off-cut.

A very common work around for this situation is to place a very NEAT stack of already cut material behind the last 30 mm of material to bring the remaining material forward by the distance of the already cut material, making sure that the two stacks under the clamp are of the same sheet count so as to maintain the clamp pressure evenly distributed. Shift the back stop as needed on this "assisted" cut.

And I would add with emphasis the safety warning given by Rikkie above.

Al

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back