Marking and scuffing in bindery

GJOHN

Is anyone else out there struggling with scuffing and marking in the bindery with matte and uncoated stocks? Is the issue Calcium related? This problem was alleviated with a "bullet proof, hard dry" ink formulation. The customer was able to cut and stitch in about 50% less time than with his normal Sheetfed inks.
George John
269-216-8088.

Marking and Scuffing

Marking and Scuffing

8-10 hours. The ink stayed open on press for 8-10 hours!

Give me your address. I will send you 1 can each. You can check it out yourself!
George John
269-216-8088

Give me your address. I will send you 1 can each. You can check it out yourself!
George John
269-216-8088

Sorry George i was actually being sarcastic, i would never put an ink in my ducts that even the rep says stays open for just 10 hours before drying

Have you tried using a layflat coating? Even using some of the stay open inks it works better in bindery. Also, may I ask what kind of hard dry ink are you using? I have used both Sun and Hostmann with similar results. Thanks

We have managed to improve/reduce marking in the bindery by switching from a calcium based spray powder to a startch based spray powder. It is worth checking this out.

i did have the same issues that you are experiencing, has it been raining near you? im assuming that you usually get a straight line from which the binder takes the folded sheet the scuffing it happens when the paper that is in contact with the stainless steel table is drag by the grippers, this action makes that the ink that remain on the top of the sheet goes off the sheet and sticks to the table, and if you are putting more weight on the top of the folded sheets then you will increase the friction, and then you will have more problems, the way i solve this issue was as followed, first i bought myself some ph markers and some humidity testers, and started to measure every stock i got into the press, i didnt change any parameters for a while and the problems kept coming with this type of paper, first i check my fountain solution because from what i saw the ink wasn't being oxidized properly and the water i was using was completely out of parameters in terms of hardness even tho the Ph and the Conductivity was ok, i change it and it didn't work, my stock was about 80% humid and about ph values were around 6 or 5 this doesn't seem much but remember PH values are measured from a logarithm so then 1 point in ph means a lot!, i put the paper on some moisture removers, and change the parameters on my fountain solution to adjust the variation on the paper PH, this procedure did that the problem was solved, i ask you if it was raining near your facility, because usually those factors affect the paper quality and then the impression, i did tried some dryers and other stuff to make this thing work but nothing really worked unitl i did what i described.

Hope this helps

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back