Mass Variable Data Mapping

eillirand

I am looking for a way to print out variable data maps. I see several providers out there (variablemaps.com, trekkmaps.com, etc) but we are looking to do this in-house. We already do most printing in-house including QR codes and other variable data printings; just not the mapping part (yet).

What is needed in order to do this? As the subject implies, using services like Google's API,would not work. We would be printing out far more than what they allow in their licensing and quality would be the other concern.

How does one go about getting setup to do this internally?

We currently use Kodak InSite for most of our printing services.

Thanks!

Maps

Maps

Have you checked out TREKK for your maps?

Trekk Cross-Media

This solution works great with DesignMerge VDP software for Quark and InDesign.

Regards,
Greg Bane
DesignMerge Channel Manager

The problem with trekk, is they create the maps and charge for them. I am looking to do this in-house along with our current solutions for VDP.

Maps

Maps

As far as I know it would be a more affordable way to do this than to license the API from Google.

If I am not mistaken, The Google API is more geared towards the use of web based graphics.

72DPI jpgs would not be a valid option for print use.

If they offer a print quality solution, then that is something I am not aware of. As far as the cost for licensing, in the long term, I am fairly certain that the license for API would be far less than having someone else do the printing for us. We are talking hundreds of thousands in a year.

Per VariableMaps:
Quantity Cost
1 to 1,000 $2,036.00 flat
1,001 to 2,500 $2.04 each
2,501 to 5,000 $1.16 each
5,001 to 10,000 $0.94 each
10,001 to 25,000 $0.90 each
25,001 up $0.81 each

25000 print outs = $20,000.

Maps

Maps

Wanted to see if anyone else had found an app for variable maps using a database of addresses? Prefer cheap plugin or pay as you go service, will output to indigo 1-1000 range?

So far I have found nothing. I have touched base with several vendors and they even done their own digging and found nothing. If you happen to find anything, please post it here as I am like you, still trying to find a solution. Thanks!

Please take a look at mapcreator-usa.com and choose maps on demand. This company provides high resolution (300 DPI) maps in very large quantities in a short period of time (millions within several days). With or without routes, multiple poi’s combined with the receivers address, each map is unique to the receivers address etc. etc. This technique of mass production and the varieties is a very specialized activity. Don’t do it yourself. They use Navteq data and are very flexible regarding styles, sizes and route requirements. Their new website still is under construction but please take a look over there as well (maps4mail.com) . They are offering a free trial of 20.000 maps so go ahead!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back