Massive static problem

UK Printer

Hello all,

we run lots of sheet vinyl through our express 2500, operator is having a massive nightmare everyday fighting the static in the sheets, just wondered if anyone had a magic wand they could tall us about to help.

Sheets are picking doubles from the tray, has anyone found any widget we could hack to fit the machine to help alleviate the problem a little.

All the best

Tim

Xerox use to partner with a company that supplied a little static defuser. It looked like a shoe lace that would go into the drawer. I forget the name of the company but it is out there. The other option is getting control of your environment. Buy a cheap thermometer that also reports RH and a room humidifier.

You need to get your humidity up around 50 percent. That will help but not get rid of it. We have used the shoe lace type anti static where demonstrations of the stuff look real good but I have never had much luck. The tinsil works good if you have an area where you can put it and it needs to be grounded. Downy works to but the chemicals in it can react to the printing process.

As far as I know, there are no magic wand to fix this. I've tried so many....tinsel, small bowls of water...wet rags...humidifiers....

My humidity over the last 2 months got down into single digits a few times, when I removed paper from my stacker, there is a visible arc, followed by pain... printing on dry offset paper. (Igen)

I/we have gotten used to the zap. :)

I used to operate a nexpress, the only time we really had that issue, was because we were printing vinyl type paper-transparents too. It became a joke that whoever was walking by boss, tech, or anyone else would be asked to remove samples from the stacker for me. Was a good way to learn new curse words.

Unfortunately....really the only way to eliminate this is to have perfect humidity, and good paper.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. We've got a gizmo coming in to blow de-ionised air into the pile, which if its a full moon, and all the planets are in alignment could go someway to curing the problem.

See how it goes, we're getting some cracking prints off the beast, so its worth persevering with.

Thanks.

Tim

best luck that I had was copper tinsel and humidity. You might want to ground the tray or the stack to discharge any static in the material. Maybe degauss it.

I have had occasional luck using Bounce fabric softener sheets on the infeed pile like tinsel - but its usually a last resort . . . .

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back