Matching D55 to D65

Hi

I work with two monitors, only one is calibrated to D55 as this more closely matches the finished textile product we are printing. On the non calibrated monitor (using a generic profile at D65) an image will look a lot brighter and if a layout is emailed to a client for their approval this is generally what they will see (usually on their uncalibrated monitor also with a generic profile probably at D65).

I’m working in Photoshop. How can I adjust the image that I am viewing on the D55 calibrated monitor so that it will look correct on the clients monitor. I appreciate that this is not an exact science but any improvement I can make would lessen the typical client’s response on seeing the press proof “it is darker than I had expected”.

Thanks.

How can I adjust the image that I am viewing on the D55 calibrated monitor so that it will look correct on the clients monitor..

Sorry, but it sounds like a losing battle to me. Client should invest in a decent monitor and calibration solution if they expect anything close to accuracy when viewing on screen.

If they have an accurate color profile for their monitor assigned/loaded, then they should see fairly accurate results if what you are sending is assigned an accurate output profile (e.g., by assigning an output intent to a PDF).

If they do not have an accurate profile, they should either get one or assign the best standard available. Alternatively, you could convert everything from your output profile to whatever RGB profile you think best matches their monitor, then assign whatever profile they have loaded. Then the source (what you assigned to the PDF) will match the destination (what they are using), and the RGB color values will be displayed on their monitor exactly as-is without conversion. If you had first converted to a profile that accurately represents their monitor before assigning the profile they are using, then the color should match fairly well.

Thanks

Please bear with me a little longer.

When saving the Photoshop file as a PDF, in the output options I am selecting ‘Convert to Destination’ (the destination chosen is sRGB), and I am selecting include Destination Profile.

When I then view this file on a different PC with a monitor that has an sRGB profile it looks completely different to the original file which was edited on a profiled monitor at D55.

I’m sure I must be doing something wrong but I can’t work out what.

Any ideas?

Thanks

When I then view this file on a different PC with a monitor that has an sRGB profile it looks completely different to the original file which was edited on a profiled monitor at D55.

Hi Lorna. When you say "has an sRGB" profile, do you mean sRGB is selected as the monitor profile? sRGB is a device independent color space that more or less describes the average color gamut of typical monitors (CRT), and is typically assigned to images to be viewed on a monitor (internet images for example), but it does not characterize the monitor in any way. For any hope of color accuracy, a monitor should have a custom profile selected. Getting two monitors to preview color the same is one of the more challenging aspects of color management, and without custom profiling, its not likely to occur .

As a test I used the monitor in the office (not colour managed)

When I checked the profile (in widows xp) it didn’t seem to have one (!) so I just selected sRGB as its default monitor profile. As you have pointed out sGRB is a device independent space. Could this be what I am doing wrong?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back