Measurement and comparison methods for metallics and foils

Luiszvd

We work with a range of products that apply a mix and match of effects and inks, printed on a variety of substrates including normal and metallic inks on foils.

In-house we do our color matching under controlled lighting conditions with correct reading equipment, which give us predictable results.

Our clients however, do visual comparisons, which on white board with normal inks can be a challenge but when printing on foils with all the shine and reflectance, it is near impossible to make an accurate comparison between targets and new printed samples.

One of the suggestions I have made to clients is when comparing samples to place them inside a matt white board cone so as to block out as much polluting color as possible from surrounding objects. I know that this is not ideal but it does help.

I would really appreciate any feedback, suggestions and tips for visual and digital color matching methods on foils and metallic inks.

Thanks

Our method when it comes to ink on foil has always been to supply the customer with an ink proof/drawdown on foil stock for their signature. Once signed this becomes the target. On press we have had some success with printing an opaque white down under the colour control strips so we can read it on our press scanner. Reading metallics and foils with instruments has always been a bit iffy. Normal ink on white board to compare ink on foil board would not really help us. We always have the signed drawdown to compare to and if needed the customer will request a press side approval.

I would really appreciate any feedback, suggestions and tips for visual and digital color matching methods on foils and metallic inks

Looks like the op also asked for Digital suggestions also, I gave him our current method for match and control and maybe he can learn from what someone else is doing that works
. Didnt see much in the way of useful info from your post alilbryan.
Cheers

Yes I am looking for any suggestions on how the client can do a better visual comparison. They would not have the same conditions for analyzing samples as we do in house, so depending on the color of his T-shirt and the angle of vision they sometimes come back with comments like “that gold looks to blue” :(

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back