Mimaki JFX500, ONYX and Raster Link problem

printdeco

I have a problem with 1200 profile on ONYX. When I try to print something with this format the printer stop and I have to restart it. I don't have that problem with the same resolution on Raster Link. I can print a 1200F profile on ONYX but is much slower than 1200 on Raster Link. Mimaki technician said the problem is with the ONYX because it is working with Raster Link, ONYX said it is the printer, I should set up that on the printer which is impossible. The difference on printer display is ONYX 1200F doesn't show MP2 (MAPS2). I don't know how to fix this. When I want to print something 1200 resolution I have to start Raster Link which is not a good solution.

There could be any numbers of causes for this, some of them fixable, some of them not.

First, for whatever reasons Mimaki has, they are determined to go to great lengths to persuade their clients to use Rasterlink, to the exclusion of all other RIP's. Myself, I think that's a huge mistake, but... well, I guess they've got their reasons.

Anyway, because of that philosophy, they tend to keep their driver information very close to the vest, and often for a particular machine there may very well be a condition or resolution that doesn't quite work right in a particular RIP, that does work right in Rasterlink for that very reason.

If the problem is in the driver, then yes, the Mimaki tech is technically correct, the issue is with the file as sent to the printer by ONYX; however, if Mimaki had supplied to driver correctly to ONYX to begin with, the problem wouldn't exist.

Or, it's possible there's just a setting off somewhere in ONYX that's causing the issue. Obviously the Mimaki tech isn't going to be of much help there.

Out of curiosity, what model of Mimaki, and what version of ONYX?

Also, what is a 1200F profile? I'm not familiar with that designation. You say 1200 resolution, but what's the F? Also MP2 and MAPS2, what are they?

Mike Adams
Correct Color

There could be any numbers of causes for this, some of them fixable, some of them not.

First, for whatever reasons Mimaki has, they are determined to go to great lengths to persuade their clients to use Rasterlink, to the exclusion of all other RIP's. Myself, I think that's a huge mistake, but... well, I guess they've got their reasons.

Anyway, because of that philosophy, they tend to keep their driver information very close to the vest, and often for a particular machine there may very well be a condition or resolution that doesn't quite work right in a particular RIP, that does work right in Rasterlink for that very reason.

If the problem is in the driver, then yes, the Mimaki tech is technically correct, the issue is with the file as sent to the printer by ONYX; however, if Mimaki had supplied to driver correctly to ONYX to begin with, the problem wouldn't exist.

Or, it's possible there's just a setting off somewhere in ONYX that's causing the issue. Obviously the Mimaki tech isn't going to be of much help there.

Out of curiosity, what model of Mimaki, and what version of ONYX?

Also, what is a 1200F profile? I'm not familiar with that designation. You say 1200 resolution, but what's the F? Also MP2 and MAPS2, what are they?

Mike Adams
Correct Color
It is Onyx Thrive 21, Mimaki JFX500.
MAPS2 = Mimaki Advanced Pass System 2
Advantages of MAPS2 supported print modes:
Less Gloss effects (Gloss banding)
Less bandings
Increased uniformity of print.

In Onyx I have 1200 and 1200F. I believe 1200F is for Normal Dots.

Just for grins, I downloaded the driver and took a look.

1200F is for fixed dots, and 1200 is for multi-dot.

I assume you're saying you have a profile made with the 1200F setting?

I couldn't find anything anywhere regarding MAPS2, so that may be something that isn't included in the driver they gave ONYX.

Only thing that you might check is the speed settings you're using with Rasterlink vs ONYX.

If you open Media Manager and open Media Library then right click on the media you're using, then select edit, then click through to the Basic Media Settings dialogue and from there click on the Mode Options button, you'll get a dialogue box that allows you to select the number of passes, the print (carriage) speed, and also print direction: bi-directional or uni-directional.

You can try changing those and see if something speeds it up and still keeps quality as you'd like. (If it's at 32 pass you can speed it up by decreasing passes; if it's at 4 pass, you can't. Of course print speed is obvious, and bidirectional is faster than uni-directional.)

Copy the media first though and change the copy.

Of course it still may be that you won't like the fixed dot quality.

There doesn't appear to be any reason the machine can't be profiled to run 1200 multi-dot in ONYX. It would just mean a profile needs to be made.

But first thing I'd do is see what happens when you match the speed parameters (passes, print speed and print direction) to what you have in Rasterlink.

Mike

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back