Monthly Duty Cycle (KM6501/X700/c900)

Mark H

Each of the color machines I'm looking at (KM6501/X700/c900) all put out the quality that I need for my job. All things being equal (which they aren't) my decision would be based solely on a combination of initial and ongoing operating cost. Since I know the published monthly duty cycle of each unit I can also normalize those costs across units.

Here's the rub - we all know that the manufacturer's published monthly duty cycles are junk. What I really need to know is what are real-world people actually getting out of the units and how much maintenace is it taking to get that

For example, I spoke with one independent rep today that said although the KM6501 is rated for 300k impressions/month that most only put out 60-70k without significant maintenance. While I have some greats techs in the area, I can't have my one and only machine going down every week for heavy maintenance.

For those of you using these machines - what are you seeing for mean time between failure and what kinds of failures are you seeing?

Thanks!

Mark H

Monthly Duty Cycles are measured in 8.5x11 paper, 24lb bond; it's a theory number under "perfect" environmental conditions (i.e. : lab).

If you have 300k as a monthly duty cycle, and are running 12x18, cut that in half at least. So that will be 150k. If in addition, you will be running 100lb cover, cut that in half again, that's 75k.

I think both the Xerox 700 and KM 6500 are capable of handling such volume monthly. The key is to remember that they both will need maintenance to accomplish that. So think which one can be up and running faster. Do you think you can benefit from Customer Replaceable Units like the Drum Cartridges, Fuser and mono-component Toner (no additional Developer to be changed) on the Xerox 700?

Last edited:
X33, if this is the case than why don't the internal "parts" counters take into effect the large paper count. My tech complains that a fuser may only go 250K but 93% of our output is on 12x18 so in reality it may have gone over 400K.

Steve W

Steve W

We recently bought a Oce 665 pro( made by KM), we also took a hard look at the Xerox 700. We visited locations that were putting 100K per month on the Oce' with no problems.
We are only three weeks in, but so far no problems, runs heavier weights especially well. :)

X33, if this is the case than why don't the internal "parts" counters take into effect the large paper count. My tech complains that a fuser may only go 250K but 93% of our output is on 12x18 so in reality it may have gone over 400K.

Not sure, that's a question for engineering.

I have a custmer that runs two C6501s and are averaging 90k per month per unit. They are running about 50% letter and 50% Tabloid. Other then a PM every five weeks the calls have been limited to about one service call a month. The machines have performed very well and are about six months into the placement.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back