Morgana Digifold vs Duplo vs ?

gtmo

I am new to the Digital arena and are looking into a machine for creasing/golding.

Would like to know what experiences people have had with Morgana digifold/creaser vs the Duplo creasers or others I should consider. Any suggestions and opinions always appreciated.

Thanks

Save the money and get a good floor folder with a right angle (must have adjustable slitter shafts) and a set of tri-creasers. You will have 20 times the productivity and way more versatility! Look at a Baum 2020, we can score and fold a letter size piece at 25,000/hr without breaking a sweat. The Tri-Creasers are awesome! Maybe 10 minutes of set-up when changing fold types.

Thanks for your reply Craig, but not looking to do 25,000/hr as most digital runs are from 500 to 2,000. the Traditional folders do not seem to do the job as welll as creasers/letterpress score.

We were in the same boat as you. Only needed to crease small runs, 100 -2000 sheets. We just installed a duplo creaser. Wow, what a great machine. Of course not a high production unit but it does a great job. Just load the feeder, push start, and walk away until that stack is done. Excellent crease on light or heavy stock. We are even buying a micro perf attachment for our short run jobs. Worth the money. But, if I were doing long runs I would definitely buy a Tri creaser.

Traditional folders WITHOUT the Tri-Creaser. You add on a set of those and you can make a better score than a letterpress. I know, we still use a letterpress for die cutting, stopped using it for scoring after we got the Tri-Creasers.

We just got in a Morganna AutoCreaser Pro 50 and it is just amazing a bit pricy but worth every penny in our opinion . . .

We had the original autocreaser
then upgraded to the digifold and now just purchased a digifold 5000p to be perfectly honest I don't know why we stuck it out with Morgana as they were terrible, however the 5000p is fantastic and accurate as hell, our crunch test was 400gsm laminated trifold A3 menus, no problem!

We're wanting to purchase a digifold but use it as our only folder at one of our satellite locations. Is it suitable for the standard array of folding that a small quick print shop would experience, i.e. 20lb bond, 80lb gloss trifolds, greeting cards on 100# cover etc?

Craig, we also have a Stahl B20 floor model that is equipped with tri-creasers but have never had that great of luck with them when it comes to digital stock. One job in particular comes to mind. The stock was cross grain but we tried virtually every combination of mating channel and creasing ring with varying pressures on all of them to no avail. In the end we sent the job out to be folded and they ended up scoring it on a letterpress. The run was 300,000 so we did not want to run it through our duplo scoring machine. I guess my point is that I've found the duplo score or a letterpress score to be far superior to the tri-creasers but perhaps we're missing something.

It's perfect for that, we normally set up in a couple of minutes on less than five sheets. The only problem is the new extra strong creasing matrix brackets are a bit tricky to swap out as you have a thick and thin matrix

Hey Jotter - Every now and then we run into a stinker too. We do have the new male creasing bands that are made out of a softer material that has really helped. I can't think of a job that has presented a problem since, and almost all are cross grain folded on 100lb gloss text.

I did just break down and bought a Graphic Whizard PT SCC which will be installed shortly for our really short run fold-over cards that are scored only and business cards. I liked the Duplo, but couldn't see spending $64,000 for the same thing GW can do for less than $40,000. All of our tri-folds will be run on the folder with the tri-creasers though.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back