Morgana Major Air Feed Folder - any thoughts??

cre8iv

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of getting a folder that also scores and perforates, with additional attachments. I would kind of like in
"all-in-one" type of machine as I have limited office space. We're a smaller digital printing and design company, so budget is also a concern. Someone had suggested a Morgana Major Air Feed Folder as an option.

Our most common fold will be 11x17 folded in half, however we also need the capability to do custom folds (most half fold, but some that have two folds / scores).

We run all types of stock, however we have a lot of projects that come through that require scoring as the stock is an 80lb or 100lb glosss or silk...so I am more concerned with how the scoring capabilities are with this machine.

I am wondering if anyone here has used or knows of anyone with this machine and if they recommend it?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

I have the Morgana Auto Crease and it works very well. I've no real experience with there traditional folders however.

Ironic cre8iv, I am doing the exact same thing, looking for the same solutions. Right know I am looking at a Baum 20 with some type of creaser attached. So far I have had samples from a D&R Ultimate Score that was less then spectacular. I will be scheduling a demo on a Horizon 546 with Tri-Creasers. I'll let you know how that works.

Hi cre8iv -

I think you've got 2 questions?

How good are the Morgana folders? We've had one for a few years and it has been unbelievably reliable, undoubtedly our most reliable piece of kit. We've put many millions of sheets through it and it just keeps on ticking. I'm probably going to regret saying that and it will break down expensively tomorrow!

Second, how good will it be to score & perforate your DIGITAL print? You're not going to like this answer so much. The Major (and probably any other folder with a creasing attachment) is going to be unsuitable for creasing your digital work. Bite the bullet and get an Autocreaser, or if you want an all in one combined unit, get a Digifold. The Major does an OK job of perforating as you can slow it machine right down, but we've never found the perforating particularly high quality, especially on thicker stock (yes we do have the right blades).

(That's so weird, as I was typing that line the Morgana rep stuck his head round the door to my office. Morgana must have some pretty sophisticated internet monitoring! Anyway, I told him that I was busy telling someone how crap his folders were... you've got to keep them on their toes)

Hope that helps.

Morgana folding, creasing & perforating

Morgana folding, creasing & perforating

I'm generally in agreement with those above. We too are limited in budget, so went for the Morgana Docufold. Its lower speed than the Major, but fully auto setting, so good for very short run digital work. It works well, although the system for detecting the length of the sheet when setting up can drift out and need recalibrating.

Similarly for creasing we have a Digicreaser, which is the poor man's Autocreaser. Pretty much the same creasing arrangement, but without the suction feeder. For runs into the hundreds though a reasonably deft operator can hand feed at a good rate. I think that rotary creasing is a bit of a non-starter for most digital work.

Both the Morgana machines can have the perforating unit fitted, but we haven't had a lot of success with it. We find it a bit fiddly to set up and depending where the perf is on the sheet, and the stock, it sometimes works reasonably well and sometimes doesn't. If we didn't have a Heidelberg platen, with experienced operator, we might have persisted a bit more trying to get the perf unit working well.

[If Laurence's theory about Morgana monitoring this forum is correct, I should see Darran coming through our door anytime now.]

Well, I just sent my signed sales order for the Morgana Digifold 5000P. I guess it won't arrive in the U.S. until March though. It proved to be the only folding solution that almost eliminated cracking with our Xerox 8000AP on 148gsm gloss text, and that was with the regular blade, I have ordered mine with the narrow blade as well. We'll see how well it works in a few months!

Well, I just sent my signed sales order for the Morgana Digifold 5000P.

Craig, did you receive it already? How does it preform? What was the price? We are considering buying the same one, so any input is welcome.

I guess I should have updated, I changed my purchase at the last minute to a Baum 2020. I wasn't impressed with the results from Technifold on this with regards to creasing. I received my samples back from a company called D&R Bindery with their crease attachment which had excellent results, equal to the Digifold.

My intentions were to get the Baum in the first place since I am getting more bang for the buck. It was just delivered on Friday, they will be installing it tomorrow.

Hello Folks. Is there any Morgana machine which can Fold, Crease and do numbering all on one machine with mostly digital print. Material targeted from 135gsm - 350gsm Gloss or Matt.

And what could be the price roughly.

Best regards.
From
MR. Graphics Ent.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back