Moving Fiery Servers from One Machine to Another

ChrisWorks

My shop is looking into a new digital press. We're taking a look at pretty much all the options that fit our needs. The new machine will fill the role of our current Konica c7000. We have a Fiery Pro80 server hooked up to the Konica at the moment but we're hoping that we will be able to move it to the newer machine. Does anyone know of any limitations to doing this? I've been told by salesmen that it can't be done but I find that hard to believe. If there is any issue at all I'd think it would be on the software side and not the hardware side. One of the machines we're looking at is the Xerox Versant 80 Press with the Xerox EX80 print server. What gave me the idea to bring this question up is that both servers (Pro80 & EX80) seem to be the same model number with a slight different in naming due to them being for 2 different brands.

All based on the connections between the print server and the engine. Also the RIP software will be totally different.

Okay, so sounds like if we were staying with Konica machines there's a possibility they would work but not if we jump to another manufacturer. Was hoping it would be possible to save a good chuck of change. Thanks for your response.

actually I don´t think you can, the rip is made for said machine, even though they are the same generation. fiery for ricoh c651 and xerox dc770 are both system 9, release 2 but they are still very different from one another. one is e-41a and the other is ex770. so I think you can´t use the rip on any other machine unless it´s exactly the same

Unless Konica says that RIP will work on the new machine (which I would be surprised if it would) - it won't. For sure you will not be able to use it on another manufacturer's product. This is how EFI (Fiery) makes profits. Years ago we had a MicroPress system (was great) for this very reason - we could add different print engines to it by purchasing the "add-on" for those engines. EFI fixed that solution by buying MicroPress - now you need to replace your RIP when you change print engines.

Guys, it is probably a lot more complicated than you can imagine with the software. They load it with one machine in mind with hardware that guaranteed works with the software and that's it. They'd lose their asses if the transferred each RIP to somewhere else.

Edit: Regarding Micro, the machines were probably a little less complicated then than they are now.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back