Moving To New Premises

che.c

We found out a couple of days ago that our building is being closed in two weeks - which means we need to find a new place.

Obviously that entails moving our 260 and 250 and setting them up again at the other end. We're looking at a place that's more or less a shell at the minute, so we'll be able to fit out the way we like.

Does anyone have any tips about good environmental conditions (de/humidifiers, heaters?) and anything to watch out for when moving the machines (other than your toes..)?

It looks like our new office might be bereft of natural light.. so there's something to look forward to!

Well, as you are moving into a shell, you've got plenty of scope. When we expanded into the next door industrial unit last year we had it gutted and completely refitted including "heat pumps" for cooling & heating. So far, so good; it's maintaining a pretty constant temperature & humidity all year round and the electricity cost has been reasonable. Our only real problems have been in the recent (unusual) -11 degree weather where the external units have to shut down and "de-ice" periodically, so probably not a great technology choice for colder climates. You need to put in false ceilings and lots of insulation too!

On the "natural light" subject, you'll be fine with some careful planning. Our new offices are basically a chunk of our "new" building which is just industrial concrete & steel with very few windows. We took lots of advice (lighting, colour selections, building materials) and have ended up with bright and airy offices that are really pleasant to work in (unlike our last ones which were cramped and horrible!).

Mind you, we thought we did well with a 5 week build (with the contractors booked in advance), your 2-week timescale seems a bit challenging!

On the machine move, I'd probably get Xerox to move them if it was down to me.

The moving of dc250/260 is nothing special, but I would advise to have service present for the launch at new location. I would also take the advantage of situation and clean the units through (air filters, color drums, ...

we have climate installed that acts also as dehumidifier, but we do not run it all the time. I guess it depends also on the space you are moving to (humidity levels, ...)

Larger Xerox hardware have "Re-Pack Kits" specifically for movement. Can't speak for your products but it might be good to know as Xerox used to get a bit hinky regarding moved equipment.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I suspect that what is going to happen is we'll move in and set things up just enough for production to begin and then try and fix up the office around that. Our machines are owned and not leased, so we can take the risk and move themselves ourselves if we want, but I think we are going with having them moved properly for a wee bit over a hundred quid each.

I'm quite keen to get some temp and humidity control though - our quality varies all throughout the year because our building is basically the same temp as outside, give or take a few degrees. Do any of you know how much money you'd be spending for a modest set-up? At the min we're looking at quite a small space 11m x 4m.

smatros - I'll definitely try and have an engineer there when we get back to give the machine a once-over. Or better yet, baseline the damn thing, they were meant to be baseline the 250 a while back because it hit half a million clicks, but they just changed the devs and left.

lfelton - Must try to get some nice lighting and brightness in the new office, working in a bat cave wouldn't be much fun :(

che.c ... if you are in the US, and are currently leasing your equipment with Xerox, you must engage Xerox to move the equipment to the new location. go to ViaXerox

if you decide to do it and something happens in transit and the equipment is not working later on, you'll get billed big time for any repairs.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back