MS Word PC / MS Word Mac - Formatting

nickyg

Hi Forum,

I’ve got a manuscript in Word...when opened on PC, Win XP, Word 2003, document presents itself correctly with formatting in place, however, when opened on a Mac, OSX10.4.11, Word 2004, formatting goes out the window !...i’ve also seen the formatting go out the window on a PC as well.

I can’t fathom this one out at all...any idea’s ?

Cheers,

Nick.

Some versions of word allow you to save to a Mac OS or PC OS. We do a lot of exports into UPS software and if I use my MAC for the import from Excel it always errors out. I have to send the file to the PC. open it and re save it then import it into UPS or FedEx. The systems just arent 100 percent compatible.

Word sets itself up to your default printer. Try loading the PPD for the printer of the computer it was designed on.

Have a look at the font used on the PC that has right formatting and install it
Word doesn't warn you when changes font
It just does

In a layout application there is a Page size and a print size. The big mistake MS made is just having one size and that is connected to the currently connected printer. So a word document does look different if you do not have identically configured computer.

All,

OK, got the fonts from PC, installed on Mac, no change to the doc...

How would printer config affect a stylized manuscript ? character / paragraph styles ?

Regards,

Nick.

It affects it by the print area. One printer might have an 8" wide print area on letter size and another will have an 8.25" print area. Unless the person used soft returns at the end of the each line of type, the type will flow differently because of the .25" difference in print area. That is why it is a bad idea to use word for commercial printing.

Hi Forum,

I’ve got a manuscript in Word...when opened on PC, Win XP, Word 2003, document presents itself correctly with formatting in place, however, when opened on a Mac, OSX10.4.11, Word 2004, formatting goes out the window !...i’ve also seen the formatting go out the window on a PC as well.

Word is notorious for not maintaining formatting across versions or printer setups. Just make a PDF from the setup that is "correct."

BTW, how do you know what is correct - was hard copy supplied ?

Chasd.

MS Word PC / MS Word Mac - Formatting

Yes, that's the right answer. Just create a PDF file from the word document. If you open this on your Mac you will have the same layout.
Regards, Gerhard

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back