Nanoink - CHEAP Stuff - Need Help Here

COUNTERING THE RISING COSTS OF INK - Landa Nanography

I will not comment at first to sway the minds.

C'mon Gordo, C'mon Erik..................Let's GO!

Please refer to opening link.

This reads to me that he is using a standard marketing sales talk strategy. These are known as "weasel phrases"** and are used in marketing/advertising in order to avoid making a direct statement or promise. I.e. they are used as a way to say something that legally, or truthfully, cannot be said. They're also used to make you think you've heard something that hasn't actually been said, to accept as truth something which has only been implied, and believe things that have only been suggested.

Specifically, in this case, he sets up a false comparison (them vs us) but not a direct comparison. He lets the conclusion be filled in by the reader. He does not make a promise but implies enough for the prospect to arrive at the desired conclusion.

For example...
He never mentions the actual cost of their NanoInkâ„¢ but using the reader's experience implies enough so that the conclusion is that NanoInkâ„¢ is less costly.

• "For a start it will not use plates to transfer the ink onto the blanket."
(customer conclusion: eliminating plates eliminates their cost)

• "Secondly we will be using a much thinner layer of ink – around 50% less than a comparable offset printed sheet, which will significantly impact the cost." (customer conclusion: thinner ink = less ink = less cost. Note that he only says that it will impact the cost - not that it will lower it however most people will fill in the blank and assume that impacting the cost means lowering it)

• "And thirdly, our NanoInk™ is supplied as a concentrate to which the users add their own water. This will have a substantial effect on delivery costs in the supply chain."
(customer conclusion: having the user add the water eliminates the bulk of the product and therefore reduces the cost of transportation. However that is not what he says. Instead he says "a substantial effect on delivery costs" - that could simply mean that Landa's delivery costs will be lower and hence widen their profit margins).

• "clearly with all the advantages that NanoInk brings to the process, there should be some scope for profit for both of us!"
(customer conclusion: it might be a costly process, however, with all the advantages that NanoInk brings to the process (compared to?) I will still be able to make a profit so the cost is not a concern.

Is that what you're looking for D.I.M.?

N.B. I have no axe to grind with Landa's product. My thoughts are based on Marketing/advertising 101 from my time working in the marketing/advertising world.

**"Weasel phrases" are similar to "weasel words" - see here for more info: http://the-print-guide.blogspot.ca/2012/05/marketing-101-weasel-words.html
Note that the number of weasels worldwide is not diminished by their use in this manner.

Last edited:
Thank you Mr. Pritchard. Your rewards will be great in heaven as well as your time left on earth.

I hope that I can be so lucky, as well as good.

D

COUNTERING THE RISING COSTS OF INK - Landa Nanography

Better minds of the Print Planet.

I need help with this one.

I will not comment at first to sway the minds.

C'mon Gordo, C'mon Erik..................Let's GO!

Please refer to opening link. Thank you.

D Ink Man

Gordon made good points.

Personally, I don't care about Landa nanoink. When they actually have a process, then it might be interesting to discuss it. I wish them luck.

I just asked my brother who does our books about our cost of ink as a % of sales and he guessed less than 5% so for a 1,000,000 dollars of sales ink cost = 50,000 save 50% - 25,000 so you can put 25 grand in your "pocket" before taxes if that was the only part of the equation but the interest on a nano press loan I think 25,000 bucks would be a drop in the ink can . . .

I just asked my brother who does our books about our cost of ink as a % of sales and he guessed less than 5% so for a 1,000,000 dollars of sales ink cost = 50,000 save 50% - 25,000 so you can put 25 grand in your "pocket" before taxes if that was the only part of the equation but the interest on a nano press loan I think 25,000 bucks would be a drop in the ink can . . .

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

I just asked my brother who does our books about our cost of ink as a % of sales and he guessed less than 5% so for a 1,000,000 dollars of sales ink cost = 50,000 save 50% - 25,000[SNIP]

If he's doing the books, your brother shouldn't be guessing .
The industry average for offset printing based on research (e.g. Pira, GATF, vendors) is that 1.5% of revenue is spent on ink.

So if your revenue is $1,000,000 you're actually only spending about $15,000 on ink. If you save half of that then you put $7,500 in your pocket. If you use ink optimization (heavy GCR reseparation) you'll drop your ink cost to about $10,000. If you also use FM screening your ink cost will drop again to about $8,000.

But, thinking that way means you've fallen into Landa's reality distortion field. He did not say that you would save 50%. He said "we will be using a much thinner layer of ink – around 50% less [in terms of ink thickness] than a comparable offset printed sheet". You made the mental leap that a 50% thinner layer of ink is a savings of 50% of your ink cost. It ain't necessarily so. And he never said that.

Last edited:
"I just asked my brother who does our books about our cost of ink as a % of sales and he guessed less than 5% so for a 1,000,000 dollars of sales ink cost = 50,000 save 50% - 25,000 so you can put 25 grand in your "pocket" before taxes if that was the only part of the equation but the interest on a nano press loan I think 25,000 bucks would be a drop in the ink can . . ."

I asked him in the hallway as he was going one way and I the other and he said less than 5% so it could easily be 1.5% - I was just showing "What a drop int the ink bucket" Landa was talking about -if you were to buy one of his new presses the interest on the loan would make any ink amount a drop in the ink can in figuring the cost of ownership of that piece of equipment.

IT WAS SARCHASM . . . like . .. I'm going out and buying a G-5 business jet . . . . How much do you think we can save on the bar supplies???? or I'm getting a Ferrari F12 BERLINETTA . . . I hope I can afford the gas for it . . . .:rolleyes:

"I just asked my brother who does our books about our cost of ink as a % of sales and he guessed less than 5% so for a 1,000,000 dollars of sales ink cost = 50,000 save 50% - 25,000 so you can put 25 grand in your "pocket" before taxes if that was the only part of the equation but the interest on a nano press loan I think 25,000 bucks would be a drop in the ink can . . ."

I asked him in the hallway as he was going one way and I the other and he said less than 5% so it could easily be 1.5% - I was just showing "What a drop int the ink bucket" Landa was talking about -if you were to buy one of his new presses the interest on the loan would make any ink amount a drop in the ink can in figuring the cost of ownership of that piece of equipment.

IT WAS SARCHASM . . . like . .. I'm going out and buying a G-5 business jet . . . . How much do you think we can save on the bar supplies???? or I'm getting a Ferrari F12 BERLINETTA . . . I hope I can afford the gas for it . . . .:rolleyes:

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back