Need templates with postal regulations

n8hegr8

I've looked on usps and couldnt find anything. I need a template for a 9 x 12 booklet envelope flap on side with postal regulations where address block needs to be, etc. also need a template for a #10 with postal regulations, a 6 x 9 postcard with pos.regs. anyone know where to look?

You should contact your local Bulk Mail Entry Unit (BMEU), they are going to be your best contact for these kinds of questions. I typically use the USPS Notice 67 template (pictured below) to make sure my mailers are up to snuff, and my BMEU is happy with what we do. However, different BMEU's may have different or more exacting standards. Getting the go-ahead from THEM is your best bet of not having your mailings impacted.

usps-template.jpg

Depending on what you're mailing, the addressing may not be as important as how you prepare your trays/tubs. I know that I do a lot of full saturation presort mail within 20 miles of where my BMEU services. This means that if I do my job properly and have the trays properly sorted, they don't really go through any automated scanning machines...so my addressing is pretty unimportant. What is important is that they are properly sorted into trays the right way so they are loaded on the right outgoing delivery trucks. After that point, it only matters if they're in the right order so when the carrier goes out on his run they can see the address and place in the correct delivery box. Obviously this doesn't apply to things that need to be sorted or scanned by the machines...just elucidating that your local BMEU is going to be the ones who make or break your mailing. I have a good relationship with mine, and have many times in the past done something "wrong" only for me to get a call saying "we're mailing it this time, but fix x, y, and z before you mail it again".

I've looked on usps and couldnt find anything. I need a template for a 9 x 12 booklet envelope flap on side with postal regulations where address block needs to be, etc. also need a template for a #10 with postal regulations, a 6 x 9 postcard with pos.regs. anyone know where to look?

Not really a fan of templates, as, they really don't tell you everything you need to know as well as being somewhat confusing about what you do need to know. Not to mention, that, when regulations change (which happens more frequently than you might think), they seldom ever update the template.

For instance, the template above is for "Letter Sized" mail only, so, won't answer any questions you have about the 9 x 12 (which is a "Flat-Sized" piece). It also has a section that shows you how to decode a "PostNet" barcode, which hasn't been used in the last 16 years. It was obsoleted by the Intelligent Mail Barcode way back in 2007, I believe.

Assuming you already know about the various minimum volume requirements for the various classes of mail, I will try and answer the questions you asked.

The 9 x 12 is a "Flat". As such, the address block needs to be fully encased in the "top half" of the mail piece. The USPS defines the "top half" of the mail piece as either the top or bottom half or, it's easier to think of it as "not in the middle". In other words, fold the long 12-inch side in half, then open it up again. You now have a vertical crease right at the 6-inch mark. The Address Block must be fully encased either to the left of that verticle crease, or, to the right of it, but, not across it.
There are other regulations that have to do with weight, thickness, deflection, uniform thickness, and rigidity for flats. They can be found in the Postal Explorer Website that TJPrinter specified above.

The #10 and the 6x9 are both Letter-Sized pieces, so, the outdated template above may be of some use, but, here are some other requirements that are probably not on the template:

To qualify for automation (bar-coded), it can't weigh over 3.5 ounces. Whatever is in the #10 envelope must be of uniform thickness, can not be over 1/4" thick, and can not contain any protrusions (pens, buttons, coins, etc.) that can damage your mail piece, or, the mail processing equipment when processed by the USPS. If it is a window envelope, it is subject to a "tap test" where the USPS taps you mail piece by all 4 sides and the address that is on the insert that shows through the window must be visible after each side is tapped.

The 6 x 9 post card must be at least 0.0092 thick. Since it is a letter-sized piece, it's length and height are dictated by the orientation of the address. The "Length" is that measurement parallel to the address. The "Height" is that measurement that is perpendicular to the length. In order to qualify for am automation discount (bar code) it must have an "Aspect Ratio" (length divided by the height) of between 1.3 and 2.5 inclusive. For instance, 9 divided by 6 = 1.5, so it qualifies. If you put the address on the 6-inch side (6 divided by 9 = 0.667 - will not qualify, must be at least 1.3)

Hope this helps!

All The Best - Good Mailing

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back