negotiating new contracts - click charges?

bcr

Hi folks,

We're currently deep into renewing our contracts and one of the issues that I'd appreciate any advice or feedback on are click charges.

For background, we have a CRD and a few departmental/office printers. On our current contract we regularly do less than the contracted monthly volumes, except for peak periods when we go way over. For example, our typical volumes are about 70k per month averaged out, but in one three month period recently we did 250k on just one machine. It's difficult to predict our peak periods due to the nature of our work.

So - how best to negotiate a contract that has some flexibility with clicks? We don't want to go so low in set volumes that we get a shitty click charge, or so high that we're constantly going under. Are some manufacturers more flexible than others? We're in Europe if that helps.

Commercial printers generally have contracts with click charges based on approximate yearly volumes.
So the bill each month is dependent on what is actually printed. Not sure if this could be an option for you. I'm not familiar with office contracts and what that entails for the maintenance.

Really the only way to negotiate is to compare to what other competitors can offer, ask around and see can you get a more flexible deal elsewhere and then you can bargain with your current supplier better.

Commercial printers generally have contracts with click charges based on approximate yearly volumes.
So the bill each month is dependent on what is actually printed. Not sure if this could be an option for you. I'm not familiar with office contracts and what that entails for the maintenance.

Really the only way to negotiate is to compare to what other competitors can offer, ask around and see can you get a more flexible deal elsewhere and then you can bargain with your current supplier better.

the offers we've had to date have generally been:

€X for the lease per month, and

€X for a specified amount of clicks per month, excess clicks are charged at €x

The only ones I've seen so far that do not have a minimum commitment for click charges are, for example: https://wijverhurenprinters.nl/produ...agepress-c910/ but then that's with a very high B/W click charge of 1.7 cents

I'm at a county in-plant, but we have production gear from Konica Minolta, no minimums...just pay for what we do, and low CPCs. We average about 500k impressions per month. The offices within our county have the smaller office copiers from Konica Minolta, and KM has done away with a click charge on the office units. They just have a flat charge regardless of quantity which is great for those peek months, and they probably make out on our slower months. I think they call it a one-rate program. Not sure if that is offered in other countries (we are in the USA)

In my "recent" experience with this....

Canon offered the LOWEST click

RICOH had the 2nd BEST "rate"

KM was right behind RICOH

Xerox was the highest.....

Best bet is to get ALL FOUR vendors "bidding" on your account and see who is willing to be the MOST aggressive to EARN your business.

Good Luck.

Best bet is to get ALL FOUR vendors "bidding" on your account and see who is willing to be the MOST aggressive to EARN your business.

Good Luck.

thanks for this! was that on the basis of a minimum volume of clicks per month?

Good Luck.

We've got exactly the opposite offer, Xerox is the lower rate, and Canon the highest, but in our case, there is a minimum, 6000 or 10000 clicks per month. We choose Xerox, not only because the click charge, they offers a first party manteinance service, for Ricoh, Canon and KM are local dealers wich provides the manteinance service.

Did Xerox "disclose" that they generally charge a "monthly base" FEE that does NOT include any clicks?

It just covers part of their "service costs".

This "base" FEE usually runs between $1,000 to $1,400 PER MONTH in ADDITION to your "click" charges.

Check your contract. BET ya it's in there..........

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back