New Adaptive CMYK Kit for the V180

Victorsome

I just heard from my techs there is a kit that goes on the Versant 180. This is the kit to have you have Gold, Silver, White or Clear right on your versant. I did some research and you need to switch out your current CMYK kit to use it. Luckily for me I have 2 V180s so it will be a good fit. I have checked and don't see a general cost. Does anyone have any info on this?

I would expect the specialty color toner carts for the V180 to be expensive, and you may need to purchase a RIP software plugin/license to use them. I almost bought an Irridesse in 2019 and part of the decision not to was the specialty color TCO and not having confidence in my ability to sell enough metallic printing to justify the financial commitment. The tech is exciting, but it has limitations. For example you may need to run two passes to get white toner to be opaque. If I were making specialty color capability investment with Xerox, I would lock the price of the specialty toner, specialty developer, and associated hardware into an addendum to my lease contract. I would also visit a Xerox lab in either California or New York and run test projects using my substrates and files that I create to understand nuances and limitations of the workflow. If you do more research, please share what you learn.

I saw samples and they are spectacular. The biggest innovation in the last decade. This stuff just pops! Seriously, I'd be into it were I a print shop owner instead of a Xerox analyst. The change is also very simple: no screws, 5-15 minutes max.

The samples I got were very disappointing. the front to back register was terrible, the opaques were non existant. and the gold was only slightly more metallic than can be achieved with CMYK. This tec has been available in Europe for a few years through a xerox partner.

I've posted on this board asking about it. As an owner I was excited but as an operator i couldn't justify it. To be fare I have a Heidelberg wind mill for leafing and heat press for gold too. My customer service saw it as just another gold version that fits in the middle some where.

I expect the metallic colors to be expensive. Each color for our 1000i was $10,000.00 just to get installed. Ink for gold and silver was over $600.00 per jar. Don't get me wrong we run a lot of metallic ink, you just have to be prepared to pay for it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back