New bie for digital copier

jpress

I have a small commercial print shop for 14 years now with a 4 color offset 20" and a 2 color offset 11 x 17 press. We have never had any copiers. I keep seeing articles that digital is more & more a large part of print shops, especially in this economy. Our run lengths are from 250 sheets -20,000 sheets on #80 gloss book/dull book up to 14 pt gloss cover. Anything from biz cards to post cards & brochures. We run polyester computer to plate as well, with line screens to 175 lpi, so plate cost & set up are pretty cheap and fast on the 4 color press. As with an offset press, experience and cost for pressman are key, maybe thinking of getting rid of the press, so I was thinking of digital. Can these digital machines do what my press does? What are some good copiers to look at for entry level, and is used a good way to go? I could keep the press for a compliment to the copier as well.... Suggestions are appreciated...

JP

Stay away from "entry level" if you are going to try to run what your presses are running, and have high expectations of little to no service. Just like a press, you get what you pay for, especially in the long run.

I was in exactly your shoes, Jpress. I leased a KM 6501 and haven't looked back. Great market segment. Great machine.

Digital print is not the same as offset print. Just be aware of that and be prepared for a learning curve and you'll do great

Can these digital machines do what my press does?

JP

Sometimes......not always.....and usually at a much higher cost per impression.

Do your research before making that leap, it's easy to get hurt by sales people that will promise the world and deliver nothing. Copiers (like the 6501) are still just that...COPIERS, and sales people forget that. It's important to know the real world limits of what any given machine is capable of. There is no such thing as a stupid question, I wish I had this forum to reference before I made some bad decisions and learned the hard way. Those printer reps can smell blood in the water 5 miles away, especially inexperienced newbie blood, and with one signature they will own your ass for the next 36 to 60 months. READ THE FINE PRINT in those service contracts, make them spell things out for you if you have doubts, because in the end it's your business that will get hurt.

Your cost per impression is going to be much, much higher on the digital machine. There will be an eclipse point between our offset press and your digital press - I would work this out in detail before worrying about which digital press to get.

Offset: Paper Cost + Ink Cost + Plate Setting Cost + Maintenence Cost + Staffing Cost
Digital: Paper Cost + Supplies Cost + Click Charge / Maintenence Cost + Staffing Cost

The cost to print will be the same at some number of sheets for digital and offset. Once you know this number you can determine how many jobs you'd actually want to run on the digital machine.

You should also consider that you'll be carrying a more diverse array of stocks if you have both machines.

To conclude my response I'd like to echo what the others have already said - do not trust what the sales people tell you regarding how a new digital machine will increase your revenues, decrease turn around time, bring in new business, etc. It certainly may help with those things, but nowhere near the level they want you to think it will. Since you've owned your business for 14 years I'm sure that you aren't going to be letting anyone take you for a ride! :D

I was an offset press operator before I opened my all digital shop and it is a completely different animal. Sure, some knowledge easily translates- printing is printing. I would guess that a copier for you would end up doing test runs for the customer before they order a huge quantity; as well as getting them a small quantity in a hurry while they wait for the rest of it to be delivered next week on the press.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back