New Digital Press Suggestion

OUPrint872

We currently have a Xerox 1000i with the 5th color station and regular booklet maker. We are in our 5th year and it is time to start looking around. We generally do about 100k 13 x 19, 4/4 full flood 100# coated cardstock a month.

Any suggestions? 5th Color is not important to retain. CMYK will be just fine.

Last edited:
We currently have a Xerox 1000i with the 5th color station and regular booklet maker. We are in our 5th year and it is time to start looking around. We generally do about 100k 13 x 19, 4/4 full flood 100# coated cardstock a month.

Any suggestions?

Are you wanting to keep the 5th station? If so your options are limited

5th Color is not important. Really did not sell well anyway. Too garish for the tastes of my customers. It was really a bad investment. If I was going to go with a 5th color, I would choose clear!

Last edited:
I wouldn't go that far as to call 5th station a joke. I've seen some very creative uses for it. I'll admit you have to have a very creative team that know specialized stocks and understand print, which is hard to come by. As others have said here, you rarely have a client asking for it but if you have a portfolio of its capabilities you'll attract orders for it.

I know it's a step above 5th station machines but if you can afford it the Iridesse is on another level, absolutely outstanding what that machine can achieve.....again with the creative team behind it. One of our techs was in and showed me the portfolio another printers in our city had put together using there new Iridesse and it was amazing. Even he said they are producing prints that not even Xerox had imagined.

I am a vendor to numerous printers and have been in the business for over 20 years. I would have to say that the Iridesse and the 9200 series both have their strengths and advantages. Ultimately the output from each both have a different feel. I happen to work for a dealer who is the largest independent Ricoh dealer in Texas as well as 1 of only 3 independent Xerox dealers who can sell the Iridesse. Having sold a significant amount of Ricoh Production systems over the years I always thought they provided a really nice output quality. The Ricoh product has always put significantly more toner on the paper making it harder for some Ricoh dealers or direct to maintain healthy margins on service which tends to impact service and performance. The Xerox output quality is definitely the most consistent I have seen and as close to press quality as you could hope to achieve. As long as 400gsm paper capability and 500K per month max volume fits your needs I would side with the Iridesse. I just sold one to a guy who has been a customer of mine with 5 production Ricoh systems currently, he just replaced 4 of them with an Iridesse.

Let me also say, the 5th and 6th color stations allow for some amazing capabilities but if you don't have the staff or the sales group to sell it as high end embellishments to your customers and create the value to allow for significant profit margins you should probably only look at the 4 color system. Who knows, down the road you may want to come back and add it when the timing is right.

Iridesse is a "glorified" COLORPRESS

10 Year old tech that is not even XEROX tech

It came out of FUJI and XEROX "bought" the right to sell "outside" of Japan because Xerox has NOT innovated in OVER 10 years.

Iridesse is NOT a "bad" box, it's just not really anything "new" or better.....

The guys around here who KNOW Xerox call the Iridesse a "Colorpress on Steroids"

We run 140k 12.5x19 inch sheets per month and we ran a Versant 2100 before moving to a Ricoh 7210X. It doesn't seem like with your volume, it would be cost effective to run such expensive machines as the Colorpress or Iridesse. Just my thought.

Just replaced 2 ColorPress 1000i presses with 2 Iridesse presses. Have had them for several weeks now, quite impressed so far. Better color quality and lower cost than ColorPress. Half the purchase cost of Ricoh 9200 and lower click cost. We do 225,000 to 275,000 click per month on each. Spent 6 month researching and testing, Xerox, Canon and Ricoh.

There is a NO WAY an Iridesse is 1/2 the COST of a 9200

No way.......

I was seeing the Xerox Iridesse come in between $50,000 and $75,000 MORE than the 9200.

We "sell" CLEAR mayyyyybeeeee 2 times a YEAR

It's a gimmick.

The XEROX naturally prints VERY "glossy"

You can ONLY use the CLEAR in an "unprinted" / WHITE areas

Really tricky to "design around"

XEROX sold it ALMOST like it could be used as "SPOT UV"

Nope........

Another "NO WAY"

Xerox "click rate" is NOT lower than RICOH

Also, figure in the MAGIC "xerox SERVICE base" that ONLY they charge and your click basically goes UP about another .01 cent too

By my MATH the XEROX click is about 2x times HIGHER than what you can and will get from RICOH.......

Just replaced 2 ColorPress 1000i presses with 2 Iridesse presses. Have had them for several weeks now, quite impressed so far. Better color quality and lower cost than ColorPress. Half the purchase cost of Ricoh 9200 and lower click cost. We do 225,000 to 275,000 click per month on each. Spent 6 month researching and testing, Xerox, Canon and Ricoh.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back