New Imposition Software Needed

Pingpong

Dear Members.

I need new imposition software after updating my Adobe software today as my previous fantastic package from Dynagram will not support 2020 onwards after closing down.

It is for a small offset & digital printers, so not looking to break the bank with the cost. Thanks. Mike

Dear Members.

I need new imposition software after updating my Adobe software today as my previous fantastic package from Dynagram will not support 2020 onwards after closing down.

It is for a small offset & digital printers, so not looking to break the bank with the cost. Thanks. Mike
What controller do your digital printers have? If you have Fiery, the built-in imposition software called "Impose" is awesome. It allows you to export the imposed files to PDF as well so you can use for your offset press too. It does require a license which may have already been included when you acquired the machines, otherwise, it's relatively inexpensive to buy a new one.

If you want a free solution to get you by until you decide on a software, one of the users on here shared a great free imposition software called PDFsnake....it's completely free and used from a web browser. It has lots of great features.

I use quite imposing for 99% of imposition jobs. I do use Fiery impose for hot folder imposition, but it is kind of clunky IMHO I prefer quite imposing. I’ve used pdf snake but I did not care for it.

Now two of you have mentioned Montax which I haven't heard of before. I see it appears to be free on their site. Is it completely free, or only certain features, and you eventually have to purchase a full featured version? @GVG and @SoggyWinter

I've seen a few posts on Fiery, and while I use it, it can be limiting on run sheet size.
Xerox FreeFlow Core scales to meet any size sheet, including wide format. The hot folders make repeatable tasks really fast.
Now of course FreeFlow Core manages workflows beyond impos, but to have it all integrated makes things more efficient.

inp02+ is maybe a throwback, but I love the user-friendly interface, how easy it is to add custom color bars and register marks, and integrates nicely with Acrobat

And of course there's Kodak Preps. Kind of like FreeFlow, if you can use Kodak Prinergy with Preps, workflows are easier to manage.

I believe the poster is not looking to break the bank with the cost, so would Presume Kodak is not a option starting at 25K or £250 a month for the clown version

I’ve been using Quite Imposing for years for digital sheets and wide format. I tried the demo of Montax and there are a few things it does better than Quite. I prefer the plugin or stand-alone vs the DFE options since I’m not tied to a particular vendor. Both Quite and Montax have excellent technical assistance if needed vs Fiery non-existent support. Don’t let Quite’s wonky looking website throw you off, it’s a great plugin.

I’ve been using Quite Imposing for years for digital sheets and wide format. I tried the demo of Montax and there are a few things it does better than Quite. I prefer the plugin or stand-alone vs the DFE options since I’m not tied to a particular vendor. Both Quite and Montax have excellent technical assistance if needed vs Fiery non-existent support. Don’t let Quite’s wonky looking website throw you off, it’s a great plugin.
Quite keeping 1995 alive

You don't necessarily need to buy imposition software, you can actually do it in InDesign. When you design a file save the InDesign file. Export the same file as a PDF and add crop marks, bleed etc as you export. Open a new InDesign doc the same size as your press sheet and place the PDF in the doc. You can use the Step & Repeat tool in InDesign for multiple ups or add more PDFs to the press sheet for gang runs. Export the press sheet as a PDF and then send the PDF to the press. You can also use Windows>Utilities>Scripts to add crop marks on a press sheet (CropMarks.vbs), place a multi-page PDF (PlaceMultipagePDF.vbs) and more. You can find other scripts on the Adobe CC website that you can add as well (some are free some are fee based) and also from GitHub. You can also write you own scripts if you want do to custom functions.

PDF Tool Box from Heidelberg.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 10.10.07 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 10.10.07 AM.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 60
I also use Montax. It has a nice feature set (including hot folder capabilities) for under $600. One possible downside is that it is only available for Windows.

Last edited:
Just tried Montax, on my Mac Mini using CrossOver app.
The demo is very limited, but for me its the only app i have found thats remotely like old school Preps, (make a template, drag pages on to 1st page etc)

Just tried Montax, on my Mac Mini using CrossOver app.
The demo is very limited, but for me its the only app i have found thats remotely like old school Preps, (make a template, drag pages on to 1st page etc)
I could be mistaken, but I believe Montax offered to provide a fully functional trial when I was looking at it. Maybe contact them, they are very responsive.

We're a book printer. We print sheet-fed offset, web-offset, Canon digital web and will be moving to a HP pagewide 2200 web press.

We've continues using Dynastrip since the Dyangram made their announcement. Been kicking the can down the road. We've been avoiding a change because we've build so many different masters impositions over the years. Haven't been looking forward to re-creating a new master library with a new imposition software.
The issue is that the current host computer of Dynastrip is in the process of giving out. Looking for a new imposition software that allows us to save common impositions as masters along with printing to a PDF format that we currently are using.

I'm seeing some great options above. I'm looking forward to some additional information if possible. Thanks in advance.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back