New Job Title for Prepress/Wide Format/Digital Press operators

I started in Prepress 25 years ago, and my job title was simply "Prepress". Now, like many prepress operators, we also wear the Wide format and Digital Press operator hats. So the question is what should our new title be to reflect our added skillsets?

Your experience mirrors mine. "Prepress Technician" works for me. My bosses didn't know what job title to give me, so I decided for them.

Graphics Imaging Technician. It has a broad scope - from file handling or art creation to finished product - and includes digital and offset. I don't like using the word designer anymore. Designers are my worst nightmare and I don't like being grouped with them.

DCurry, I worked in prepress for over 40 years (used to be called pasteup, camera and platemaking in the old days) before retiring in 2017 and would often say I could not polish a turd, until the boys on Mythbusters did polish one. But I certainly agree that your title of "Turd Polisher" is often appropriate.

"Turd Polisher"

It was pointed out on the B4Print forum that it is not really possible to polish a turd, however it is possible to roll it in glitter!

Seriously though, at one point in time there was a push to change the title to Premedia.

Stephen Marsh

DCurry, I worked in prepress for over 40 years (used to be called pasteup, camera and platemaking in the old days) before retiring in 2017 and would often say I could not polish a turd, until the boys on Mythbusters did polish one. But I certainly agree that your title of "Turd Polisher" is often appropriate.

I guess it depends on how dry the turd is!

EDIT:

Mythbusters Polishing a Turd - YouTube

It appears that I was thinking about it the wrong way!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
My official title is:

"Here's my godawful file, now hurry up and fix it, print it and make it look beautiful, because I need it for a meeting at 1:00 and then throw it in the trash after the meeting" technician.

It can also just be shortened to "Print Shop Bitch" :p:p:p

I like Graphic Imaging Technician. And I happen to be looking for one in the Jersey City, NJ area. Please send resumes to [email protected] for consideration. Lets put “GIT resume” in the subject field please.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back