New magnetic Laser-compatible stock - Digital Magnecote

EdwardB

There is a new "Pre-Magnetized" laser-compatible stock available.. curious if anyone else has experiences with it?

Nekoosa Coated Products- Digital MagneCote

I can give my little experience running it... it is an interesting twist on printing media to say the least. It comes *Pre-Magnetized*, which makes it very interesting that even runs at all. The material we received was their 13pt 12x18. I had a small run to print on our brand new Xerox J75s. I determined the following necessary for operation:

Stock doesn't come with a GSM rating on the packaging, researching Nekoosa's website, 13pt is 688gsm! Well out of spec for most digital machines, out of spite I ran it anyways!

Must be fed out of a air-assist tray
required a custom paper designation:
-Coated
-300gsm
-Air assist set to "miss-feed table"
-Image Transfer set to MAXIMUM

Expect a miss-feed on the last sheet (due to it being magnetically held in the tray), pray your machine does not "stop" the other sheets mid printing.
Expect transfer issues on the first .33-.5" from the lead edge, in the case of a 11x17 full bleed you would need to shift the image to the limits of the page edge and cross your fingers.

Jam in your Fuser? Your Fuser is probably TOAST, the magnetic material melts off in quick order and adheres to the fuser roller(s)
-Keep spare fusers

Have short runs where it would not be cost effective to oursource? Worth Trying
Would I run this stuff all day long? NO
Would I ever tell my vendor that I run 600+ gsm? Or place a service call about feeding/IQ/Etc? NEVER

Stock quality:
Holds an image very well, besides the transfer issue on the lead edge
Magnet seems "weak", but would suffice to hold a sheet on a fridge or car body pannel

Cutting:
Cutting this on a Polar cutter is interesting
-Place a sheet of cover stock under the stack to keep them from magnetically adhering to the machine
-Cuts just like cover stock (no observable blade damage/chipping)
-Magnetic poles will cause shifting/de-jogging of your stock, so hold it in place with a block or pre-clamp it.

Put cardstock between each sheet, it will cut much easier. It runs great through our Nexpress, just have to place the strips per the instructions that come with the stock in the press and it runs just like paper. Amazing how well this stuff works!

I ran it on a NexPress. Had to have a special "kit" (strips of magnet stock) to get it through the registration board. Aside from that it printed just like a coated cover stock.

We ran a sample run for ourselves on our KM6501. In order for it to run through our machine we were told to disable the double feed sensor. The print quality was very nice, the magnet strength was crap. We won't run it because of the crappy magnet strength, we prefer to order through bic or some other ASI vendor who can provide way better magnet strength.

10k sheets? on a KM8000? I guess printing single sided you don't have to worry about image registration LOL

Try the non magnetic stuff from flexmag. We run a crap load and magnetize after. Works like a charm.

Try the non magnetic stuff from flexmag. We run a crap load and magnetize after. Works like a charm.

I just saw a product like that run today and it was neat stuff. Way better magnetic attraction than the pre magnetized stuff.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back