New Printer from XEROX

I need everyone's input here - PLEASE !!!!!

We currently have a DC-8002 and, a DC-8000AP.

The lease on the AP is up in June. We are days away from signing for an XC-1000 (which
arosetti is correct - with RIP is around $400k)

Should we hold on the committment to see what the offer would be on the Versant, and, maybe go that way?

Since it is a new release, should we go ahead with the 1000 and wait until the Versant 2100 has been in the field for a while?

What do y'all think? What would YOU do?

Thanks, everyone!

-Best

MailGuru

Do you need the Clear Dry Ink? If not I would probably get a quote on the Versant.

I just wish that the Versant had 14x20 inch capabilities. Here lately we have needed it a couple times.

I would talk to your sales person. There is no reason why they would not be giving you the information about this new product, they should have already. Xerox is sending clients to Rochester to view the machine so even though they are not "taking orders" they are selling the printer.

As far as 1000 vs 2100 here are the questions that I would want answered:

Does the 2100 allow you to program trays while running (C/J75 you cannot)
Do you need more then 2 trays? I would not count the internal trays and only use the two high cap feeders that come as an option.
Mixed weight jobs, do you have a lot of those? If so how does the 2100 compare to the x1000 in producing them.
Insert tray (tray 8). On our 800 the whole print engine has to stop and restart when pulling from tray 8 for inserts. Huge pain in our ass.
Intermix duplex/simplex jobs, how efficiently do they run on the 2100. The 1000 will not charge you a click for a blank back that is ran 2 sided - speeding up intermix jobs.
Click cost - Go ahead and assume that the click prices will be a little higher on the 2100. The bigger the machine the small the click in most cases.

I'm sure there is others. I would not buy the 1000 without at least having your sales person pitch the 2100.

@ kdw75. - No, we have no current application for the clear dry ink.

@ arossetti - the click charge on the offer for the 1000 (large + small prints), in our specific application, averaged out about what we are paying now on the 8002. however, they have agreed to a fixed click for the life of the lease (even though we've tried, have never had Xerox agree to that before on previous deals). Our current workflow for mixed weights is not to mix them (for booklets, we run the inside text stock on one machine while running the outside covers on a second machine and then marry them offline in front of the booklet maker). To run the booklets inline with mixed stock, even if the 2100 was able to do that with no speed degradation, would require a massive re-tooling and modifications to all of our booklets in pre-press (currently running over 300 versions - each version would have to be changed in XMPie, then, recomplied, and reloaded up to the XMPie server - a massive time-consuming undertaking).

I don't think our salesperson was trying to suppress info about the 2100, as, I have been talking to him about it for the last couple of months. I think that Xerox corporate intentionally kept the sales people in the dark until the release.

@ Everyone - I am a little concerned, however. If you view the video that accompanied the release, you see a Xerox marketing exec standing in front of the machine touting all the features and benefits of the new Versant 2100, BUT, you never see the machine actually on and running. Nothing adverse about it, just unusual, that's all. On most previous new product releases, regardless of the vendor (KM, Ricoh, Canon, etc.) you ALWAYS see the new printer in action, even if just in the background. But, not on this one. I wonder why?

-Best

MailGuru

Other thing to note is the 1000 toner is gloss. Not sure how that works in your system since you already have a gloss and matte toner mix.

I wouldn't be too worried about reliability. It looks to be using a J75 paper path minus the fuser. And the fuser looks to share the technology of the x1000 which had issues at first but is solid now.

I was told the clicks would be less than the 1000 which was quoted as 20% more than our current 8080 clicks. Here is another thing you may want to look at. Run some full bleed sheets that you would normally fold and Tab closed. Run them through your tabber and see if you have problems with them sticking to the toner. We had that with a KM6000, all tabbed sheets are now run on the 8080.

I have received some info that this is not going to be a Color 800/100 killer, but rather priced at a point that will/might disrupt the J75. The ColorPress will continue to live.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back