New Xerox 550 Booklet Issue: Delivery Tray Fault

homeboy

I have a Xerox 550 with Production Finisher and Square Trimmer. Everything works but the output tray is missing from the Square Trimmer. (I've been unable to find one used, but that's another story.) After printing and stitching 9 booklets -- that I just let fall into a box on the floor -- the machine stops with the error: "The Right Bottom Tray (Booklet Maker) is full. Remove output from the tray. Or, press the C button to cancel this job." If I cancel the job and restart the machine (turn off/on) the fault is cleared and the machine will print another 9 copies. Is there a workaround to solve this?

Literally missing from the machine. I bought this machine used perhaps a year ago and have used it a lot for standard printing, but am just now getting into using the booklet maker.

BTW, I tried to "fool" the machine by changing the quantity to 7 figuring it wouldn't proceed to fault. But it's a smartie. It prints 7 and then when I try to print another 7, it prints 2, then stops and tells me the output tray is full.

there is a cat5 cable that runs from the base of the SQF to the tray, so it's my guess that the connection is necessary to allow for higher quantities. without that tray and cable, it constantly thinks that the tray is full. doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but then of course it is Xerox. ;)

Right. I see the cable and it's not plugged into anything.

So is a physical restart of the machine is the only way to clear the fault? Nothing to click? No buttons to push? I tried unplugging and replugging just the square trimmer, opening and closing the square trimmer drawer, opening and closing the finisher doors. All three caused motors to whirl and the machine to make various clicks and pops, but not to do a re-set.

So new question: What's the best way to purchase the missing output tray? I haven't called Xerox yet, but I assume a new one will cost more than I paid for machine. LOL. I have been diligently looking on eBay since I bought the machine to no avail. is there a firm that specializes in Xerox parts?

don't know about the parts, but yeah, the only way to clear the fault is the "on-off shuffle." i usually have a scanner cable fault once every three weeks. they say this is acceptable behavior; why would you ship a machine that faults, consistently, in the same place, every three weeks?

but, are you using the trimmer, to press and edge trim?

Acceptable behavior? LOL.

I am not using the trimmer, and wasn't using the finisher, until recently. But I got the machine with these options at an excellent price. I went ahead and installed the trimmer because (1) at some point I'll probably use it, (2) I needed to put it somewhere, and (3) the same tray I need for the trimmer I would need for the finisher

yeah, that's what i was afraid of. might end up looking around seeing. surely it couldn't be too much, though that's not usually how xerox rolls. a quick look and i couldn't find one retail, but you'll probably have better luck.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back