Newb GMC Printnet questions

Hi,
Probably easy questions, but not finding stuff in the help files.

Using Printnet 6.2.97.0 hotfix

1) When I get to the output screen, I can create different default filename templates which is good. Is there a list of format characters to use (if it is more descriptive than the popup window)?

2) I have input Data files that are typically 01234s_prod, 01234s_samp or 01234s_test. Is there anyway of pulling {prod,samp,test} out of the name to be used in the default filename?

3) One solution to #2 is using an impostion script module (we already have one that seems to add group numbers) but I don't know how to get from an input .dbf name, to a value I can use. ( We get some values out by using a script that assigns to: OutputSheeter_0.SheetInfo.SheetName[3] = GroupCounter.toString();

and I can use %h[3] to get at this value. So figured if I could search input filename for 'prod', 'samp' or 'test' and then fill in SheetName[4] I could probably get the info I need.

(Sorry if that doesn't make sense...)

4) When doing multiple input, is there a way to change the default starting path that it opens to search for the input data files? And is there a way to change the default output path that is given once you pick the data files? (kinda like the formats for the single input file version.)

thanks

doug

Sorry for the late reply

Sorry for the late reply

I hope you you haven't given up yet.

I was searching on another topic altogether regarding PrintNet, and saw your question.

You should be able to get the name of the input data file by requesting the parameter of the input module. In this case, in a new unlinked field created in a Data Transformer module (name it whatever you want), select a script transform. Open the script transform dialog, and try the following code:

String s=WorkFlow.Parameter["<modName>","dif"];
Int i=s.findBackwards("\")+1;
return s.mid(i,s.Length-i);

Replace <modName> with the actual name of your input module, of course.

This will give that field the name of the input data file. You can do further string manipulation to get the part of the input data file you need.

Once you have winnowed the input file name down to the piece you want, you can then add this variable to the sheet name variable you need to translate into the imposition and output modules. You can set variable to your sheet names by selcting the page in the layout tree and then selecting the "Sheet Names" tab in the layout properties window. You will see sheet name 1 and 2 at the top (since they are the default preassigned sheet names) and you can add new sheet names to a sheet by clicking on the "New" button at the bottom of the layout properties window.

In this case, create a Sheet Name 3. You will see a table entry appear for it once you click the new button. The right-most column will allow you to select a variable to populate this new sheet name. Select the variable you created that carries the input file string you need. Once you populate this variable, every page created using that particular sheet will carry the value of that variable in sheet name 3.

To reference this in the production screen, use the variable placeholder %h03 to reference sheet name 3 ("%h" refers to sheet name and "03" refers to which sheet name). You can make as many sheet names as you want.

If you want to split based on sheet name changes, you will have to regroup your sheets accordingly. This can be accomplished using a sheet regrouper imposition module. Click the radio button that says "By sheet name change" and specify which sheet you need to regroup by, and it will create new group beginnings based on when the sheet name value changes.

Good luck.

Halp

Halp

I have a base of 1000 post script files and I have a TXT file path where the file name to select 100 of 1000.
I showed in the param imput module path to 1000 and have one of the 100 that TXT file.
how to automate? I want to show layaut 100, not 1 ...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back