newb here...

ang7399

Hi all, I am new here (and to the wide format industry). I have an extensive print (digital and press/offset) bakground, but this is my 1st job as a full time wide format printer. I am a graphic designer, and I know enough to get me by on day to day stuff, but when it comes to problems, I don't really know where to start when I have an issue. Mostly due to lack of knowledge.

Anyways, I am having an issue with my printer. I use a Roland SC 540 with eco sol max inks. My biggest problem right now is tradeshow media. I have been using Lexjet products, a 12 mil pvc (for the printed part) and a15 mil PreLume Display Flex over lam. (very expensive :()

I print at a temp of 35 F (on my printer) and an external temp of 80 F. I wait 2 days (minimum) before laminating, and another 24 hrs after laminating before I trim, then another 2 hours after trimming before I package (during wait time, they lie flat).

When I tape the media to the take-up reel, I've noticed after I am done and take the print off, that there are lines where ink is missing, almost like the print scratched itself and removed the ink. To remedy that I instead of taping in small sections, I put a long strip of tape across the media. That's better now I guess, its a pain, but at least I'm not wasting my 1st print.

But I guess my biggest issue is that once I go to laminate the prints, after it comes out I notice bubbles under the lam. I know that some of them are dust (even though I use a tack cloth/cheese cloth to remove as much as I can), but some of them are just air bubbles and will not lay flat. Running it back through doesn't help. I even use a sled when laminating to get the best even pressure across the board. I have followed the instructions for the media and laminate to a 't' and I am still having problems. I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me?

Thanks! (sorry its so wordy! :eek:)
-Ang

Laminating can be a pain. If I'm having trouble with bubbles I slow down the laminator. If it still needs more help, I increase the tension. If it still needs more help I turn up the heat slightly.

What kind of laminate are you using? Which laminator are you working with? And, what are the laminator settings you've tried?

About your take up roller - is the print side inwards, or outwards?

I have tried to slow down the laminator, when I add heat it gets curly. I haven't tried upping the tension yet tho, that's a good idea!

I use a GBC laminator (not sure of model) but i have very little control over anything with it. I can change the speed, and temp and that's about it.

The laminate that I am using, is LexJet 10 mil dislpalyflex with prelume.

My take up reel is print side in, I haven't tried print side out yet, mostly cause its hard to 'stick' it to the reel that way... but def worth a shot!

Could be the paper... some of the coated papers release gas when heated and will cause bubbles. We had that problem years ago with semi-gloss poster paper. Changing the paper, or to a lower temp laminate was the only cure. You might try lowering the temp and slowing it down.

Like the other poster said... laminating can be tricky at times.

I can attest to WiseGuy's advice as well. My glossy paper from my wideformat paper has to laminated with extra fans and a very low temperature or it will create air bubbles, or equally as bad, ink bubbles.

Getting Curly: If it is getting curly, I find that usually has to do with uneven tension, which you have no doubt experimented with by now. So weather you find a lower or higher tention works better, you'll have to check that top and bottom are fairly similar.

Let us know if you find a solution!

Well since the lam is VERY expensive, I can't do too many experiments with out my boss freaking out, but what I have found is that slower speeds and less pressure on the sled helps, a lot.

My last print of the day yesterday was on the take up reel print side out and that helped, cause now I don't have my print trailing on the floor, and I can do more than one at a time again :)

I did call my sales rep at LexJet, and he was extremely helpful in helping me find a different media. I told him what I liked (rigidity, look of the lam, texture, etc.) and what I didn't like (bubbles, price, stress - lol, etc.) and we found a product that I think will better suit us. I have ordered a roll of a polyester/polypropylene print media (so that means less static from the start since it's not a plastic/pvc base) that dries a lot faster (bonus!) and a laminate that is half the thickness of the previous stuff, but still thick enough to give rigidity for trade show booths. The old lam had a plastic lining, and the new one has a paper liner, so there is less static on the way through the laminator. Old lam had a pvc/plastic base, so it has a 'memory'. The new stuff is called t-flex, and is co-polymer, and made for solvent printers :)

as for the current ones that I am working on, I'm just taking my time (last time I had a HUGE time crunch, this time I have all the time I need since its an 'extra booth' for 'just-in-case'...). I am using medium heat, and slow speeds and less pressure on the laminator.

Crossing my fingers...... thanks for all your help tho!

wow! sample rolls arrived this morn!!! i might get a sample print in tonite before i leave to try it out :)

Sounds like your operation is well supported by your suppliers. The lone fact that the laminate is thinner will help avoid as many bubbles. So your laminate has lining? I've actually never had laminate with a lining rolled up - they've always just been rolls of laminate. Interesting.

yeah they are pressure sensitive laminates, that's what I use mostly. I only have a few non-liner laminates. I've used them in the past, and i prefer the pressure sensitive ones. You still have to use heat, but its under 100 F. (I also find that it is a lot safer, since I don't burn myself :p)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back