Nexus Screen Family's

dauby

We have been using Nexus for the past 10+ years and using the PCCNominal family screen. What is everybody else using? We have licenses for (Paragon, CQS, & PCCNominal) and I'm sure they have more that we can purchase for a price. We did some press test with concentric but don't want to go there and want to try something new. Any idea's?

Thanks

Paragon......We were initially getting a cross hatch moire when we first went to CTP so we switched to Paragon and been running that for 4 years.

We have been using Nexus for the past 10+ years and using the PCCNominal family screen. What is everybody else using? We have licenses for (Paragon, CQS, & PCCNominal) and I'm sure they have more that we can purchase for a price. We did some press test with concentric but don't want to go there and want to try something new. Any idea's?

Paragon, CQS, and PCCNominal are all AM screens. If you're printing offset and your plates and CtP can handle fine screens you might try Organic which is a second order FM screen (HDS).

best, gordon p

My print blog here: Quality In Print
Current topic: What makes them so special?

We started out with PCCNominal, but found that we were gettting too much cross hatch moire, so we switched to CQS and have been very happy with that screen set. We talked to another shop that had the same problem with PCCNominal, and they switched to CQS, and suggested that to us, and it solved the problem.

-Sev

We started out with PCCNominal, but found that we were gettting too much cross hatch moire, so we switched to CQS and have been very happy with that screen set. We talked to another shop that had the same problem with PCCNominal, and they switched to CQS, and suggested that to us, and it solved the problem.-Sev

You are correct when you compare PCCNominal to CQS, however they are still both AM screens.
I got the impression that the OP was as he wrote, wanting "to try something new" after 10 years with PCCNominal rather than staying with an AM screen.

But I may have misunderstood.

best, gordon p

Thanks

Can I ask why you didn't want to go with Concentric? Price or some other reason?

Just curious as we have just bought the license and have some great results.

Kristian

Can I ask why you didn't want to go with Concentric? Price or some other reason?
Kristian

When you bought the license for Concentric did you compare it to the regular AM screen at the same lpi (i.e. 300 AM vs 300 Concentric)?

thx, gordon p

We had banding problems with the Paragon screen set, and have been running the Concentric screening without the rings and spaces, at 200, 241, 283 and occasionally 340 LS, since January.

We had banding problems with the Paragon screen set, and have been running the Concentric screening without the rings and spaces, at 200, 241, 283 and occasionally 340 LS, since January.

What do you by "without the rings and spaces" Aren't those what makes Concentric screening concentric screening?

thx, gordon p

When you bought the license for Concentric did you compare it to the regular AM screen at the same lpi (i.e. 300 AM vs 300 Concentric)?

thx, gordon p

Yes. When compared to conventional AM screen Concentric was much cleaner. Press guys also liked it and said it was more stable on press.

Bret, I didn't think it was possible to run without the rings as that is what Concentric is.

Kristian

What do you by "without the rings and spaces" Aren't those what makes Concentric screening concentric screening?

thx, gordon p

In the settings for the rings and spaces is an option called Solid. It gives you the round dot that is used to build the Concentric. It is a more refined screen set than the Paragon was.

Bret

In the settings for the rings and spaces is an option called Solid. It gives you the round dot that is used to build the Concentric. It is a more refined screen set than the Paragon was.

Bret

So there is. This will actually help us with linearising the plate as the true concentric dots do not work very well with our plate reader. We've been using Paragon for linearising but a Solid Concentric should be more precise.

Thanks Bret

Kristian

Bret

hey there Bret,

Can you clarify how is a "solid concentric" round dot different that a typical round dot?

It's not different than any normal round dot, just better than the Paragon Dot. We were having banding problems in highlight gradations. Upon close inspection, it appeared that there was no supercell dithering going on in the Paragon round dot (it went from no dots at 0% to all 1-pixel dots at 0.4, 0.8, and 1.2% to all 2-pixel dots at 1.6 and 2.0%, and so on). The Concentric round dot had the supercell dithering and fixed our problem.

Bret

Kristian

Management decided not to go forward because of price and our process controls were not tight enough.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back