Noob question on booklet bleeds

bcr

I will be printing some A4 booklets (centre stapled, printed onto SRA3 with 3 side offline trim).

However I'm not entirely sure what I should specify for bleeds.

Am I right in thinking that the binding edge does not require bleed as it will not be trimmed?

Should I then ask for a three sided bleed? And should I ask them to submit it 2up or as separate pages?

Thanks!

Hi @bcr - most imposition applications / tools understand that the bleed on the inside / center fold is ignored. Even Adobe InDesign understands that. So, normal bleed amount on all 4 sides of the un-imposed / before pagination is best practice.

Good luck !

Hi @bcr - most imposition applications / tools understand that the bleed on the inside / center fold is ignored. Even Adobe InDesign understands that. So, normal bleed amount on all 4 sides of the un-imposed / before pagination is best practice.

Good luck !
Great, thank you

I will be printing some A4 booklets (centre stapled, printed onto SRA3 with 3 side offline trim).

However I'm not entirely sure what I should specify for bleeds.

Am I right in thinking that the binding edge does not require bleed as it will not be trimmed?

Should I then ask for a three sided bleed? And should I ask them to submit it 2up or as separate pages?

Thanks!
Normal layout from a good customer is "reader spreads" in two pages with bleed on the outside of the spreads.
If this is done correctly all is well for output.
If you require PDF output they then output single pages with standard bleed and this finishes the process nicely.
Any other layout option requires more skill BY THE CUSTOMER.
YMMV

Reactions: bcr
I would go with A4, with bleeds on all 4 sides but how you ask for the pages may depend on what you are or aren’t using for imposition. I prefer to use imposition software to impose booklets and ask customers to not send printer’s spreads. If you ask for printer’s spreads, you’re putting all your faith in the ability of the customer to do it correctly. Did they impose the pages correctly, if the pages aren’t numbered, you’ll never know if it’s correct unless you provide a hard copy proof before printing. The other issue is adjusting for creep, good imposition software will allow you to pull the inner pages inward for higher page count booklets, so you don’t face trim off graphics or text that is close to the margin.

3 side offline trim
sounds like your stitching and folding in-line with your printer and will finish trim as last step?

Any chance only the cover is full-bleed and guts are not? If so, I'd print covers separately, trim, then add them to the book in the bypass tray and let the printer finish the book... assuming your printer has a face/fore-trim (if you have enough pages required to clean up that edge?)

Reactions: bcr

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back