NotePads

vniehaus

Can anybody give good advice on gluing notepads together and keeping them from gluing back together after they have been separated and boxed?

Thanks in advance.

Re: NotePads

Make sure the glue is dry before separating them and keep them
in a cool dry storage area until delivering them to the client. Seems
like an odd sort of problem. Could you elaborate on the circumstances?

> {quote:title=doubting_thomas wrote:}{quote}
> Make sure the glue is dry before separating them and keep them
> in a cool dry storage area until delivering them to the client. Seems

Yes, doubting_thomas we do not have a climate controlled shop. We are a in-house shop for a non-profit.

> like an odd sort of problem. Could you elaborate on the circumstances?

Yes, doubting_thomas it is an odd problem. We are an in-house shop for a non-profit and lots of jobs we do odd. We print coated stock on a non-heatset Didde press for instance. Right now my job duties are prepress operator, pressroom operator, and plant supervisor recently. I know that is because we are small and in a rural area.

Most notepad jobs we do are in-house jobs for direct mail. We cut them apart after drying and store in a box. When it's time to insert into direct mail package they are glued back together. We had to switch from pens to notepads in our direct mail packages because the postage for mailing pens went way way up.

Right now we glue the pads on a custom made wood frame with just a weight on top the pads for compression. Maybe a padding machine with screw down clamps would work better.

We have run lengths of 200,000 pads at a time lots of work for a disabled employees but big problems when it's time to insert.

I've seen this same problem for 15 years now. Recently our Plant Manager of 10 years left and that responsibility is on me now.
So it's time to get this problem fixed.

Thanks doubting_thomas I see you posts often.

Vincent Niehaus

Edited by: Vincent_ on Jul 26, 2008 8:08 PM

Hi Vincent,

* What type of glue do you use?
* Can you store them as printed sheets, rather than pads, and glue them "just in time" ?
* Don't stack your glued pads to high, as to avoid after-glueing in the stack by pressure and high temps.

good luck

powder with baby powder or any starch powder. absorbs the moisture. try some other padding compounds. a melting type padder like brackett.

powder with baby powder or any starch powder. absorbs the moisture. try some other padding compounds. a melting type padder like brackett.

That sounds like an idea that I will try out. Also, the idea about keeping the flat sheets unglued until just in time.

The using spray powder idea just isn't working and it makes a mess too. Especially when too much has been applied. Not good for the mail machines at all.

Not sure about the brand of glue yet. Still trying to catch up after losing 3 major people.

Thanks for the reply everybody.

Anybody know how to run a saddle stitcher?

You need to make sure you are jogging the pads keeping the chip board even with the padded edge of the sheets (if you are using chip board). Neatness does count. We coat the pads 2 times, after the first coat is almost dry to the touch we put on a second coat. We have used several padding compounds and yet to have a problem as longs as the pile is jogged properly. Also try more weight if you don't have a paddy wagon. We have used pieces of rail road track about 18" long when we had too.

After the glue is dry, rub with spray poweder,, turn pads head too tail when boxing this, way they can't stick together...

This year's NotePads ran very well on our mail insert machines. Scheduling the splitting of the pads to a day or two ahead of the letter shop and storing the note pads single layer in small boxes with the glued edge facing up seemed to help. Little weight was forced on to the glue after being cut apart.

Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated.

Automatic Padding Machine?

Automatic Padding Machine?

There are automatic padding machines that might be the answer if you do a lot of padding. There are two major manufactures of padding machines, Kansa and Brackett. Both manufacture great machine. Both use hot glue that dries very fast and reduce both the problem you mentioned and decrease the time it takes to pad. If you do a lot of pads or would like to do more pads at a lower cost, either machine would do an excellent job.
If you would like to further investigate an automatic padding machine, you could contact either company.
If you are looking for an automatic padding machine now, I may be able to help. I have one used Brackett circular padding machine for sale now. It is located in Ohio. It is in excellent condition and will cost over $30,000 less than a new one. if you have any interest in the one I have, do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you,
Larry Lindquist

Larry,

I'm assuming you're bored today at work. Answering a post from July of 2008. LOL. Like me, watching the clock waiting for the Thanksgiving holiday to start.

I still came back to this post as reference. The baby powder was working really awesome for a few years and now we have 120,000 notepads that are glued back together again after separating. Prior to separating we glue twice and baby powdered. 120,000 notepads glued back together after separating is a huge cost issue. Thanks for all the past posts.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back